Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updated shots of my roller paint job (56k maaaaybe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey thanks guys
    I let paint dry overnight before putting on new coat, just to be safe.

i polished/waxed the hood and trunk. NOT the fenders yet as I'm going to install them before polishing them. I need them anchored to the body while i polish or they will go all over the place.

word to the wise:

Rollering an E30 is a fuck of a lot different than rollering a civic. Reason you ask?

I totaled up about 20 piece parts to paint separately, not including the car itself! It's a bitch and a half to paint all those piece parts with a roller.

that is all.
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

^^^ haha yeah i feel you

Im waiting for the spring cuz man its like less than 10 degrees right now in VA and im not trying to wait for that paint to dry forever. When its cold i would get lazy on the prep work also. So im waiting.

And of course......take more pics.....Cant wait for the finished project? Have you started on the doors and stuff yet? How bout the roof? WHat are you doing by the rockers?

Comment

up

Comment

I want to see this after a year of real world abuse. Sun, rain, rocks.

I am interested.

Comment

Originally posted by kylebes1 View Post
            I want to see this after a year of real world abuse. Sun, rain, rocks.

I am interested.
            Well the question of its toughness has already been noted in the thread off that musclecar forum from where this idea of rollerjobs came from, with a monthly progress picture from a bunch of different users there, but see you in a year! Hope you're still interested then!
            Reminiscing...

Comment

WOW???

Who woulda thunk it. I told you that I sprayed my car recently. Well, when I looked at yours, for a split second, I wondered If I should have rolled it. That's how good your paint looks. If you've never prepped a whole car you have no idea the madness that sets in trying to erase every little imperfection. Don't sweat that dent in the red, just sand and fill and paint red. That's the beauty of the roller paint job...easy at home repairs. Nice job, I know it's all in the prep and you nailed it! Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by M42Technik View Post
                Well the question of its toughness has already been noted in the thread off that musclecar forum from where this idea of rollerjobs came from, with a monthly progress picture from a bunch of different users there, but see you in a year! Hope you're still interested then!

Yea, I understand it wont flake off. my Mercedes is Single stage, as are many new cars. the paint dulls very fast, unless it is waxed monthly.

Comment

The only thing i'm concerned with is stone chips, bc that requires a repaint, not just re-touching. I'm going to try to buy lamin-x clear sheets and cover the main parts of the front including hood/bumper/valence. I already have it on all my front lights.
                  Recent Rebranding!!
                  E30 SM62/S62
                  E30 M60 V8
                  E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Originally posted by M3fan4eva View Post
                    The only thing i'm concerned with is stone chips, bc that requires a repaint, not just re-touching. I'm going to try to buy lamin-x clear sheets and cover the main parts of the front including hood/bumper/valence. I already have it on all my front lights.
                    I think they make a whole skin for newer cars, maybe they make one for E30's?
                    Reminiscing...

Comment

I checked at least on lamin-x.com but no luck. i may have to buy sheets and do it myself. 20mil should adhere to the curves well.
                      Recent Rebranding!!
                      E30 SM62/S62
                      E30 M60 V8
                      E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Dude, you car looks GREAT. Holy hell, I might have to think about painting mine when I do a plastic bumper conversion. Excellent work, keep us updated!!
                        '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

3m may have a clear bro.

Comment

Why couldn't you touch it up?

Comment

I wouldnt worry about stone chips too much.

Did you read the Canadian dude's posts over on that mopar forum? He said that it is tough as hell and is incredibly hard to chip even with larger pieces of debris.
                              '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

love it... i know what im gonna go do my multi color POS. :-D

Comment

Working...
                                X