• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E30_(1st Musk)_ View Post
    Am i getting this correct.

1. wash car
    2. clay car
    3.polish
    4.wax.... but when do we put on the sealer ?
    I'm sure you saw the flow chart and understood, and I know this question/thread is old, but I'd love to help out since I like to think I'm pretty damn good at detailing cars. Basically it all makes sense if you think about it. When your car is dirty, you wash it. You use clay to get out the embedded dirt, but only after you removed all the surface dirt, by washing. Once the paint is fully clean, you compound and polish it. Start with heavier polishes, and go up to finer ones. Once your paint is looking like you want it to, it's time to protect it. First you go with a strong sealant that can last up to 6 months, and then top that off with a weaker but better looking wax that will last a few (up to maybe 10 depending on the wax and usage, etc) weeks.
    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
      =
      Does wax do anything to the 'blackness' of trim?
      oppostite. Makes it white.
      2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
      (Daily Driver)
      Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
      KW V2 Coilovers
      VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
        I'm sure you saw the flow chart and understood, and I know this question/thread is old, but I'd love to help out since I like to think I'm pretty damn good at detailing cars. Basically it all makes sense if you think about it. When your car is dirty, you wash it. You use clay to get out the embedded dirt, but only after you removed all the surface dirt, by washing. Once the paint is fully clean, you compound and polish it. Start with heavier polishes, and go up to finer ones. Once your paint is looking like you want it to, it's time to protect it. First you go with a strong sealant that can last up to 6 months, and then top that off with a weaker but better looking wax that will last a few (up to maybe 10 depending on the wax and usage, etc) weeks.
        yep this. I have been detailing all my cars for about 3 years with my 7424. If you guys have any questions about certain products, I am sure I can help
        2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
        (Daily Driver)
        Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
        KW V2 Coilovers
        VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

^^ Good advice quoted. Going to be doing this as soon as I have time to my non BMW car which looks like it hasn't been done in ages and posting befores and afters.
          Continuous For Sale Thread
          323i s50

Comment

Ive used alot of Poorboys products, mostly the SSR line. Awesome stuff, they work really well with the Porter Cable

Comment

anyone looking to detail their car this weekend? If not, anyone have the porter cable polisher I could borrow/rent?
              sigpic
              TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
              FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Originally posted by mcskibadee1 View Post
                anyone looking to detail their car this weekend? If not, anyone have the porter cable polisher I could borrow/rent?
                I have a griots garage orbital I can rent out. Attending bfest?

Comment

I have plans so probably not but if they fall through I definitely will.

My paint is fairly new with no swirl marks, do I still need to use the cutting compound or could I just clay, then apply nxt wax/sealant and then a carnauba wax?
                  sigpic
                  FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

It's usually recommended that you polish before waxing. However, you may be able to get away with just clay and wax depending on the amount of swirls your paint has.

Comment

You're right, if I am doing that much I might as well do the polish too. What does the OP mean when he says Remove it quickly with some QD and a MF towel after. I know mf is microfiber but what is QD?
                      sigpic
                      FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Quick detailer.

Comment

ahhh, thanks for the help eurospec! I am going to get an order together of items I need so maybe if you are available next weekend I could meet up?
                          sigpic
                          FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

I should be in town next week. I'll forward you my contact info via PM.

Comment

Does a detailing clay bar work more or less like a rubbing compound? I had serious paint oxidation, and I used 3M Advanced Auto rubbing compound and then Meguiar's Cleaner Wax and the paint (original Brilliantrot) looks fantastic. Did I miss a step with the bar though?

Comment

Originally posted by AdamPlaysDrums View Post
                                Does a detailing clay bar work more or less like a rubbing compound? I had serious paint oxidation, and I used 3M Advanced Auto rubbing compound and then Meguiar's Cleaner Wax and the paint (original Brilliantrot) looks fantastic. Did I miss a step with the bar though?
                                Claying removes contaminants from the paint and should always be done when completing a thorough detail. It ensures that your paint is nice and clean before continuing with polish/wax.

Comment

Working...
                                X