just bought a carbon hood for the M5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just bought a carbon hood for the M5

I'm a bit excited, so i thought i would share!

not sure if it saves weight, but my guess is it does, i got it for a good price, the only downside is it's a narrow grill, and i was hopping to do a wide grill conversion, now i can't. I guess i could mount my shiney new M5 badge now though.

so how should i paint it now?
    My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

depends on the color of the ///M, but my suggestion is usually to paint CF.

Comment

the car is carbon silver. I want it to be painted, but i want to display the carbon somehow. but isn't that what everybody wants

Comment

does the underside of the hood look good? if so theres your carbon display
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
        Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

I saw this at last year's E30 picnic. Have the place that yo take to paint it, mix silver with clear. Not too much, but just enough to tint the clear. Spray this over the hood so it is silver, but when you get close, you can see through it and see the carbon fiber.

The car I saw was blue and it was an AMAZING effect. You literately could not tell it was carbon until you were a foot away from it.

Josh (Mr. Anderson) might have a picture of it. If he doesn't post, send him a PM and see if he has a picture.

Comment

or you could do like they did on the F40s and just have really thin paint so you could see through it, i remember top gear talkin about that at some point
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
              or you could do like they did on the F40s and just have really thin paint so you could see through it, i remember top gear talkin about that at some point

Look in the lightspots, it show what NC325 is talking about.

Something else to think about trying is to paint all the horizontal planes of the hood, and just leave the angled riser area to the center section of the hood CF - I've never seen that done, and I think it would look cool.

Or have candy red, blue, & purple shot to replicate ///M stripes in one corner of the hood, and paint all the rest. The candy would still show the weave, so it would be like a 'window' to the CF.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

Originally posted by LINUS View Post
                Or have candy red, blue, & purple shot to replicate ///M stripes in one corner of the hood, and paint all the rest. The candy would still show the weave, so it would be like a 'window' to the CF.
                that would be cool

Comment

that "window" is a cool idea. I've seen a few cf hoods that have just a layer or two of transluscent paint and they look sweet and you can still see the carbon. Classy if you ask me.

Comment

I would paint the hood but leave an inch or so lip on the windshield side.
                    sigpic

Comment

paint the top and leave the bottom CF. that way you don't have to worry about people thinking you have a "race car" and you can still show off the CF with the hood open.

that's how mine is.. you can't tell it's CF from the outside at all (which is perfect). I have yet to sand and polish the underside of mine though, but the funny thing is most people don't notice the CF and just think it's black paint..
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I like the CF hood on a black car - I think it is because it is so subtle.
                        '89 "is" = M technic II build mode.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e34john View Post
                          I would paint the hood but leave an inch or so lip on the windshield side.

I like this idea. Subtle as well.
                          Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                            I saw this at last year's E30 picnic. Have the place that yo take to paint it, mix silver with clear. Not too much, but just enough to tint the clear. Spray this over the hood so it is silver, but when you get close, you can see through it and see the carbon fiber.

The car I saw was blue and it was an AMAZING effect. You literately could not tell it was carbon until you were a foot away from it.

Josh (Mr. Anderson) might have a picture of it. If he doesn't post, send him a PM and see if he has a picture.
                            this is a cool idea. I'm going to have to bring a good germam translator with me though so they get it right!

what about doing the hood solid, but translucent clear in a LTW flag pattern? damn i'd need carbon fenders to pull that off.... hmmm

Comment

Working...
                            X