FEELER: DIY Roller paint job detailed writeup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FEELER: DIY Roller paint job detailed writeup

Do you guys want to see a good 15-20 page writeup of how I did my roller paint job in detail all the way from prep to paint to sanding and polishing.

Again, it's how I did it. I believe it's the right way to be done because it's still a great paint job after about 3k miles on it.....

So, would this help any of you?

I have started a thread similar to this, but about the M30 swap...

Josh Anderson, Will it be possible to host this on this website as a downloadable word document?

It probably won't be ready for about a month, but it could help....
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

yes that would be great. One question I have is did you get a lot of bubbles from the foam roller when you were laying the paint?
    ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

yes it would be wonderful, my next beater in need of paint is going to get a roller job most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer View Post
        yes that would be great. One question I have is did you get a lot of bubbles from the foam roller when you were laying the paint?

yes, I will address all these questions in the writeup... If you get that many bubbles... 1 of two things will happen depending on how viscous the paint mixture is...

1. If it's properly thin enough, they will all pop on their own over time... If you want to pop them ANYWAY, then VERY LIGHTLY trace the roller over the paint. they will all disappear..

2. If it's too viscous, however, then you will run into problems of the bubbles not popping. Of course it's sandable, but more work later :)

I get an average of 2 random PM's per week of detailed questions as to how I did it... So I thought i'd do a very detailed writeup with tricks of the trade that i've learned.
        Recent Rebranding!!
        E30 SM62/S62
        E30 M60 V8
        E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Hell yeah Frank, do a write up! I've started on some spare parts I have already and it's going way better than I hoped... I only have about 6 coats on my trunk lid and it's been wet sanded with 1000 grit, so a couple (or four) more coats and I should be ready for some 1500 and 2000 grit, compounding, and polishing!

The biggest surprise for me so far is how much the paint really does level itself out, how shiny it turns out without any extra effort, and how well even the white covers royal blue!
          '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

It's all in the prep my friend :)
            Recent Rebranding!!
            E30 SM62/S62
            E30 M60 V8
            E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

A friend of mine was talking about this today.

If you could create a detailed write up, that would be awesome man.
              IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Write Up!!1

Comment

Yes please.
                  -Brandon-
                  2008 Sunlight Silver Subaru STi- full bolt ons and alky on stock turbo
                  2007 Sunlight Silver Mazdaspeed 3- fully modded 4th gear tire shredder!
                  1997 e36 Technoviolet-Metalic M3- Stock.. and keeping it clean

Comment

I would love to see this.

Would you be so kind as to give specific details on the polishing/buffing? I've never done this and it seems to be a crucial step.

Comment

+1!
                      detailed write up would be so money!
                      cheap alternative + DIY > shitty overspray + peeling/chipping in 1 year

let us know as soon as you finish a draft!!!

edit: here is some other guys webpage on his roller job, just to get some pictures in:

Comment

I have one quick question. I have started roller painting and it is looking good. I am actually hesitant to even do the final wetsand and polish, but the thought of it looking even better is very appealling.

Anyways, what is a good speed for the buffer (rpm/opm). I found a decent one at harbor freight that is 3000opm and up to 3500rpm. Is this fast enough really to work the paint?

Comment

Jex, you got me, i did it all by hand....
                          Recent Rebranding!!
                          E30 SM62/S62
                          E30 M60 V8
                          E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Wow....all by hand!?!?!?

I've read ~50 pages of the moparts thread. It seems that a high speed polisher REALLY brings out the shine. I'll probably try the one I found at harbor freight.....god know I dont want to do it all by hand!

I just finished the 4th coat on the taurus skirts and it is looking great. It levels out so good and you cant even tell it was rolled on. It is also shinier and more reflective than I thought it would be. I'll probably paint the car, let it cure for ~1 month, then do the final wetsand and polish. I probably wouldnt even bother because it looks great as is, but there is a small amount of junk that gets in the paint that I have to wetsand out.

Comment

you can burn your paint really easy if you dont know what your doing with a rotary. I would use a random orbital and the only good one is the porter cable. I got one, I also have the big porter cable rotary, but I do run my own detailing business when im not serving tables.

just remember to keep the power down on the rotary and keep it moving. No foam pads, just use big wool bonnets and lots of compound. good luck.
                              sigpic
                              1991 325iC w/ 75k Original Miles, Brillantrot, 5-speed, 16" BBS RX's, Black Leather Sport Heated Seats, LSD, and Diving Boards for life!!!:D

Comment

Working...
                              X