FEELER: DIY Roller paint job detailed writeup

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • bimmerman08
    replied
    http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1555133


    $50 paint job 183 pages with pics and write ups

    Leave a comment:


  • SLH350
    replied
    That would be awesome.

    Leave a comment:


  • kickarse
    replied
    I would love one!

    Also, I can be a mirror host if need be.

    Leave a comment:


  • jex
    replied
    The one I am looking at is a random orbital sander. I was just curious if the speeds I mentioned would be fast enough to work the paint.

    I also saw a ryobi that looked good...but I dont remember the specs. What model # is the porter cable?

    Thx for the tips.

    Leave a comment:


  • M5wanaB
    replied
    you can burn your paint really easy if you dont know what your doing with a rotary. I would use a random orbital and the only good one is the porter cable. I got one, I also have the big porter cable rotary, but I do run my own detailing business when im not serving tables.

    just remember to keep the power down on the rotary and keep it moving. No foam pads, just use big wool bonnets and lots of compound. good luck.

    Leave a comment:


  • jex
    replied
    Wow....all by hand!?!?!?

    I've read ~50 pages of the moparts thread. It seems that a high speed polisher REALLY brings out the shine. I'll probably try the one I found at harbor freight.....god know I dont want to do it all by hand!

    I just finished the 4th coat on the taurus skirts and it is looking great. It levels out so good and you cant even tell it was rolled on. It is also shinier and more reflective than I thought it would be. I'll probably paint the car, let it cure for ~1 month, then do the final wetsand and polish. I probably wouldnt even bother because it looks great as is, but there is a small amount of junk that gets in the paint that I have to wetsand out.

    Leave a comment:


  • Garageaholic
    replied
    Jex, you got me, i did it all by hand....

    Leave a comment:


  • jex
    replied
    I have one quick question. I have started roller painting and it is looking good. I am actually hesitant to even do the final wetsand and polish, but the thought of it looking even better is very appealling.

    Anyways, what is a good speed for the buffer (rpm/opm). I found a decent one at harbor freight that is 3000opm and up to 3500rpm. Is this fast enough really to work the paint?

    Leave a comment:


  • e30 Luv
    replied
    +1!
    detailed write up would be so money!
    cheap alternative + DIY > shitty overspray + peeling/chipping in 1 year

    let us know as soon as you finish a draft!!!

    edit: here is some other guys webpage on his roller job, just to get some pictures in:
    http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html

    Leave a comment:


  • jex
    replied
    I would love to see this.

    Would you be so kind as to give specific details on the polishing/buffing? I've never done this and it seems to be a crucial step.

    gracias :)

    Leave a comment:


  • northmiler89
    replied
    Yes please.

    Leave a comment:


  • NomadE30
    replied
    Write Up!!1

    Leave a comment:


  • dude8383
    replied
    A friend of mine was talking about this today.

    If you could create a detailed write up, that would be awesome man.

    Leave a comment:


  • Garageaholic
    replied
    It's all in the prep my friend :)

    Leave a comment:


  • euroshark
    replied
    Hell yeah Frank, do a write up! I've started on some spare parts I have already and it's going way better than I hoped... I only have about 6 coats on my trunk lid and it's been wet sanded with 1000 grit, so a couple (or four) more coats and I should be ready for some 1500 and 2000 grit, compounding, and polishing!

    The biggest surprise for me so far is how much the paint really does level itself out, how shiny it turns out without any extra effort, and how well even the white covers royal blue!

    Leave a comment:

Working...