Mtech II splitter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
    I used self tapping bolts to hold mine on, or you could drill holes and bolt it on (i don't know how big of lip there is to attach to on the m-tech2). And to get the straight edge and round corners i used a sander for that (i did that after i put it on the spoiler)
    Well,

Actually, mine weren't wood screws, they were self-tapping wide-head screws
    R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
      I used self tapping bolts to hold mine on, or you could drill holes and bolt it on (i don't know how big of lip there is to attach to on the m-tech2). And to get the straight edge and round corners i used a sander for that (i did that after i put it on the spoiler)
      ok cool I'll look into it tomorrow, thanks a lot for the help.

Comment

I know it's not quite a Splitter, but what is done quite often here in South Africa is that an E36 M3 lip is used, but it's cut and joined in the centre... depending on who did it the results can be pretty good.

Comment

I would suggest a jigsaw with an appropriate blade for making one. Then just sand the edge smooth. Jigsaw works nice to cut curves.

To be clear, something like this:

As far as where to buy plastic, try:

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Offering Plastic and Thermoset Phenolic Sheets, Angles, Round Rods, Hex Rods, Bars, Films, Tubes, Tubing, Balls, and Round Discs

Comment

I wonder how fiberglass would work in this application?

McMaster sells 6"x72" strips of 1/4" thick fiberglass for only $26. Plastic is MUCH more expensive then this in the long run as you usually have to buy wider sheets of it depending on where you get it.

Comment

a bansaw would be great to use with plastic sheets. but if you know how to use fiberglass or CF then it would be easy too. i may start getting into plastics pretty soon. they tought us how to work it in middle school and ive used it off and on since then.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                I wonder how fiberglass would work in this application?

McMaster sells 6"x72" strips of 1/4" thick fiberglass for only $26. Plastic is MUCH more expensive then this in the long run as you usually have to buy wider sheets of it depending on where you get it.
                But fiberglass tends to chip and damage when scraped, which is what the plastic lip is there to protect against in the first place. While cheaper to install a fiberglass splitter in the beginning, the long-run cost would be ineffective due to needing to replace it after time.
                1991 BMW E30 318i sedan
                2005 Kawasaki 636cc ZX6-R

PNWRiders.com

Comment

Originally posted by SA E30 View Post
                  I know it's not quite a Splitter, but what is done quite often here in South Africa is that an E36 M3 lip is used, but it's cut and joined in the centre... depending on who did it the results can be pretty good.
                  Do you have picts of this? sounds interesting. I hate SA stole our World Cup. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Spec View Post
                    But fiberglass tends to chip and damage when scraped, which is what the plastic lip is there to protect against in the first place. While cheaper to install a fiberglass splitter in the beginning, the long-run cost would be ineffective due to needing to replace it after time.
                    This is true. Plastic would have a little "give" and absorb harder hits I think.

Comment

Originally posted by rennegade View Post
                      Do you have picts of this? sounds interesting. I hate SA stole our World Cup. lol
                      Haha, dont worry with Jake White gone after this year I dont for see another one anytime soon :(

With regards to the splitter... come look on our forum, there r loads of sa 325iS with them on :)

Comment

Working...
                      X