Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water in trunk - should I make a drain line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water in trunk - should I make a drain line?

Hey r3v. Water has been leaking into my trunk and pooling for a long time. There's some slight rust and the trunk seal, even after being replaced, lets water drain into the driver side well where the jack belongs.

I am wondering if it would be a bad idea to drill and put a fitting where the water always pools, and route it out below the car. If this is a terrible idea tell me now be before I drill some holes please...

Pictures:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191128_141946_compress55.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.9 KB ID:	9888794

They do that, especially when parked downhill. I would worry that too small of a drain hole would clog easily. Can you park front end uphill?

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
      They do that, especially when parked downhill. I would worry that too small of a drain hole would clog easily. Can you park front end uphill?
      Thanks for the quick response, I'm glad I'm not the only one having who has this issue. I guess I could, but I'd rather fix it and know I won't have to worry about it. Especially here in Seattle where it's always damp.

Hmm valid concern. There's plenty of space for a 1/8 or even 1/4 inch fitting though. And I could always clean it out.

Comment

seems like you get a ton of water. i drilled some holes and covered them in paint in the wheel well were the jack goes and the battery. i get alot of water that it even goes to my rear seats.

Comment

General Discussion is not a catch-all; please do not ask technical questions there. If you don't know where to ask your question, post it in General Technical and we'll move it to the appropriate subforum if necessary. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by kronus
          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Are you sure water is getting in from there? The sunroof drains connect to the trunk vents (behind the rear bumper) on each side. If the tube comes off, it will drain into the jack area.

Comment

I have a leak into my jack well also. Everywhere else dry. If you have definitively identified it as the trunk seal, then ignore, but I stripped out all the the trunk lining, got in with a flashlight and had my son try spraying water everywhere. Mine was clearly coming from under the trim piece on the C pillar. It flowed right down backwards over the wheel well. Pulled it off and found a grommet where it mounts was broken. I ordered new and replaced, but it persisted. Removing the bracket again found the same grommet broken. I wonder about alignment/bending of the trim piece.

Good luck,

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brown View Post
                I have a leak into my jack well also. Everywhere else dry. If you have definitively identified it as the trunk seal, then ignore, but I stripped out all the the trunk lining, got in with a flashlight and had my son try spraying water everywhere. Mine was clearly coming from under the trim piece on the C pillar. It flowed right down backwards over the wheel well. Pulled it off and found a grommet where it mounts was broken. I ordered new and replaced, but it persisted. Removing the bracket again found the same grommet broken. I wonder about alignment/bending of the trim piece.

Good luck,

Bill
                Wow that's such a pain, hope you figure out a solution soon.

I'm going to do some more testing this afternoon. Planning to check the drains as Andrew suggested.

This when thing just makes me wish I could garage the car...

Comment

Yes, very frustrating. Thank you for the good wishes. I had searched the forums and tried everything suggested- sunroof vents, antenna bushing, trunk seal, and rear light seals. I eventually surmised that most of the other things would cause a more diffuse wetness(?). I highly recommend the in-trunk test, though my wife thought the boys and I were crazy :).

Comment

I drilled a hole in each rear well. The trunk seal seems to be the culprit for me. Very apparent when I powerwash it. sent from hell using tapatalk
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    '90 325i sedan daily driven
                    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Working...
                    X