Source of trunk water leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source of trunk water leak?

My car has developed a water leak that flows into the trunk where the factory floor jack used to sit. I know that the water is not coming from the antenna seal because I replaced it to no avail. I noticed that my rear window liner has a tiny break on the left side. Can the water leak into the window liner and flow into the trunk? If not, where could this leak come from? I have pics attached for reference. Thanks for the help!
    Attached Files

If part of the lock strip is missing the seal can leak, but it probably won't make it to the trunk.

Likely candidates for your leak: taillight seal; trunk gasket (both actual poor sealing and rust under the seal itself); sunroof drain (blockage or actual split in the line/at the connector).

Additionally, open up the drains on both sides so water that gets in can get out. Original ones are often closed from the factory undercoating or are just clogged with debris. You could also get water in from a rust hole in the body and also have a blocked drain.

Comment

Lift up that trunk gasket! Even on the most rust-free cars, you will find some rust on the lip which the trunk gasket sits on. Also, the rubber gasket itself shrinks and loses its sealing ability over time. New OEM gaskets also come with an RTV-like compound to ensure good sealing between the trunk and the lip (btw don't buy a URO-branded gasket). Good luck.
      "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

Take out the trunk lid seal and see if there';s any rust holes on the lip. Also, open the sunroof all the way and you will see 4 drains in the corners of the tray. The two rear ones go down the b-pillars and are supposed to dump out under the side marker light. That drain might be clogged, or the end of the hose in the trunk dry rotted and is draining to the trunk.

john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
        X