Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drunk Driver Hit & Run My '89 E30 - How Screwed Am I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drunk Driver Hit & Run My '89 E30 - How Screwed Am I?

Hey there - so some drunk driver rammed into my car in the middle of the night and ran off. I've been putting this off for a bit because I don't want to hear the bad news, but I need to figure out what I'm going to do. I'm terrified that this is unrepairable since the E30 is a unibody. Here are some pictures of the damage. The trunk no longer opens either. Is this something that can get fixed? Is it a bank breaker?

(Click to enlarge)

Why do you think it's not repairable? It's fairly minor damage. You'll need a new tail panel for sure, and I'm sure your trunk floor and spare tire well will need a good amount of straightening out, plus maybe some other things not immediately apparent, but from the pictures there, I have no reason to believe that it could not be repaired.

As for it being a bank breaker, well that kinda depends on your budget. Is insurance paying for any of this?

Comment

Honestly I heard horror stories from a ton of people about unibodies getting bent, which would throw off the whole car, so I was super anxious about it since I've never had a car get damaged like this. Also being paranoid because I love the car lol. Unfortunately no insurance coverage. The E30 is not my primary transport and with COVID, I had just downgraded the insurance since it was just sitting parked. Definitely a relief to hear that it's fixable though, thank you!

Comment

shame to hear that , but seriously ,, ive seen worst repaired,

look into it,
        all the best,

Comment

Really, no uninsured motorist type of coverage in your state? Typically that's where it would be covered if no comprehensive insurance exists. The structural rails are further forward and probably were not damaged, so this should be quite repairable, and even with factory or aftermarket replacement panels. Clearly, other stuff can be damaged in any collision, so do a brief inspection & functionality check before you take it to a shop.

Comment

I was under the assumption that it wouldn't be covered, but I never thought about uninsured motorist coverage. I will look into that as well, thanks! Definitely will take a closer look in the morning as well.

Comment

Working...
            X