Using a Clay Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a Clay Bar

I'm going to clay my car before I wax it this month. I am probably going to get the kit by Mother's, as it comes with two bars, some lube, and a cloth.

Just wanted to know if there was anything I should keep an eye out for while I'm claying the car. Will I need to wash the car again afterward to get rid of all that clay lube, or does it just wipe off? I don't want to wax the car and then the wax seals in the lube.

Things I do know: do not drop the clay bar.
    Me: "I can't wait to redline my car!"
    Mark: "Didn't you just break a rocker arm?"
    Me: "Yeah, I don't think I've learned my lesson."
    Mark: "You never will."

The spray that comes with that kit just wipes off with a tcloth. The kit will not damage the paint. Just make sure that the surface is always wet.

COTM

Comment

Ah, easy enough. I reckon the results are fairly nice after using a bar, right?

Comment

No, no they aren't.

In fact, just after using the bar, your paint will look like hell...but just wait. When you get it all freshly waxed you will be amazed.

1. Wash
        2. Clay Bar
        3. Polish
        4. Wax

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

It just takes debris off the paint. After you apply wax, oh so smooooth. You'll see.

COTM

Comment

if you claybar, you gotta wax. it removes any contiminants from the surface including wax.
            i generally wash my car before and after claying to get the loose crap off again. but you could wipe it off somewhat easily.
            If you clay , polish, then wax your car should look pretty nice.

Comment

I see.

So is it absolutely necessary to polish? I do not have the equipment to polish. I figured I could just clay then wax.

If I gotta polish, then I will probably skip clay bar.

Comment

Polish is purely cosmetic and optional.

Clay removes contaminants, which is necessary. It just means that you need to follow up with protectant for the naked paint.
                2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Polish if you can. Even a "cleaner/wax" on a cheap orbital makes a HUGE difference in oxidized paint.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Well, the paint isn't oxidized at all. It's actually in fairly good shape. I just wanted to go that extra mile and get my paint extra clean.

For the record, the wax I will be and have been using is Meguiars Cleaner Paste Wax.

Comment

get a random orbital buffer. it takes me the the same time as when i wax it by hand, but the end result is MUCH nicer and its a lot less work. i assume you could throw a soft cloth on it and use it as a buffer as well. its only $50 http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...keyword=buffer
                      sigpic
                      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

I actually think its easier to wash the car after the clay bar, its a pain in the ass wiping all that stuff of, but that's just me. As far as polish goes, if your paint has no oxidation and swirls then there is no need to polish. That cleaner wax you have will totally sufice.

+1 on the random orbit buffer if you do need to polish.

070 by wonderwilley, on Flickr

Comment

Wash, Clay Bar, Wash again (optional) and Wax away. Like said above if you're not getting rid of oxidation you should be golden ;) The results are amazing. While my wife and I were staying at the in-laws I washed, clay bared and waxed their 6 vehicles. All of them were/are less than 10 years old and the paint after just a wash was ridiculously contaminated. Took a good solid two days out there, but the cars look like new. No polishing, mind. Just a wash, clay, wax procedure. They were stoked and flat out amazed at the difference. The paint on all the vehicles was "nice" but after a bit of love, they looked just like new if not better!
                          Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

If you aren't gonna polish with some kind of machine (even HF orbital) you will want to wash off clay residue...I just cannot imagine going to all the hassle of doing clay to NOT polish it!

Closing SOON!

Comment

Hmm... Polish is tempting... I just don't have a garage so I have only a limited amount of time before it gets dark.

Plus, I'm really afraid I would mess something up if I polished my car.

I might just stick to clay then wax.

Just one coat of wax, right? Silly question, I know, but I just want to be sure so I ask the experts, haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X