how to get wax coating off??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to get wax coating off??

I have that stupid yellow wax all over everything in my engine bay! Got any tips about how to get it off?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	7220073

91 318is M50 swap
    89 325ic
    12 WRX Daily
    86 325e Sold
    88 325is (Parted out)
    06 330XI (Sold)
    91 318is-M20 turbo Sold :(
    91 318ic (Sold)
    87 528e (Sold)
    93 318is E36 (Parted out)
    92 325ic (Parted out)
    94 325i E36 (Sold)
    88 325ix (Sold)

Click my Signature to see the build!!^

wire brush

The Build:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

well i wanted to do the shock housing and not scratch them up, its also all over the plastic and other things as well.

91 318is M50 swap
      89 325ic
      12 WRX Daily
      86 325e Sold
      88 325is (Parted out)
      06 330XI (Sold)
      91 318is-M20 turbo Sold :(
      91 318ic (Sold)
      87 528e (Sold)
      93 318is E36 (Parted out)
      92 325ic (Parted out)
      94 325i E36 (Sold)
      88 325ix (Sold)

Click my Signature to see the build!!^

Comment

curious about the plastic as well.
        my 88 325i sedan

sigpic

Comment

mine was horrible, and i soaked it in simple green then used a medium strength wire brush

Comment

try using mineral spirit or paint thiner and scrape it with a plastic scraper it should come off then clean off the paint thinner with carb x or brake wash

Comment

How to Clean Cosmoline
              By Meg Jernigan, eHow Contributor

Cosmoline
              Cosmoline is a viscous petroleum distillate used as a corrosion preventative and surface protectant. It has a consistency similar to petroleum jelly and is formulated to adhere to nearly any surface even under extremely high or low temperatures and prolonged exposure to water. Cosmoline was used by the military for long-term protection of vehicles and firearms, and it's used in marine and agricultural settings to prevent the rusting of components exposed to harsh conditions. Removing Cosmoline can be a challenge because it's so tenacious. Follow the steps in this guideline to clean Cosmoline from any material.

Difficulty: Moderately Easy
              Instructions

things you'll need:
              Mineral spirits
              Bucket
              Rags
              Small brush
              Gun cleaning rod and fabric bore mops
              Detergent or oil soap
              Rubber gloves
              Disassemble the item to be cleaned as necessary to reach internal areas. Items as large as trucks were frequently dipped in molten Cosmoline so that it would penetrate as much as possible.

Mineral Spirits
              Soak small metallic parts in a bucket of mineral spirits. Wipe the Cosmoline away with rags or small brushes. Repeat as needed until the part is clean.

Wipe down larger metal items with a rag dampened with mineral spirits. Replace the rag if it becomes saturated with Cosmoline.

Bore Mop
              Use a cleaning rod and fabric bore mop inside firearm barrels. Saturate the mop with mineral spirits and clean or change it frequently until all the Cosmoline is removed.

Heat non-metallic items, such wood or rigid plastic, in your oven at its lowest temperature to liquefy the Cosmoline. Don't allow the temperature to reach over 150 degrees. Remove the item and wipe it with a rag, and repeat the process as needed to remove most of the Cosmoline.

Murphy Oil Soap
              Use a mild detergent solution or oil soap on a rag or brush to remove the final traces of Cosmoline from non-metallic items.

Read more: How to Clean Cosmoline | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5251388_clea...#ixzz1HNgzq3tx

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
              X