Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God damn tint

This ish is seriously pissing me off.
    My car came with bubbly ass tint from the PO and I'm running into problems with removal.
    I bought a cheapy steam cleaner from Walmart yesterday and used it along with a razor blade for taking the tint off.
    Took me an hour to do all the side windows, but the rear window is seriously a pain the ass and is coming off in little bits and pieces(been at it for about 3 hrs and only took about 1/3 off of it so far).
    I've been careful not to damage the defroster, but I'm not really sure. Took it to a tint place today to see how much they would charge for removal of JUST the rear window and they quoted me $60.
    WTF, is this a fair price or should I continue to patiently attack it on my own?
    what methods are the most efficient besides using a steam cleaner and razor?
    I'm running outta time and patience with this..

Cliffs: Tint removal of rear window is a PITA, should I continue to work on it or pay the $60 ripoff price of getting it done. Diff methods of removal would be nice too.

TIA

Ameet

Get a new rear window haha, its a 5 minute job to replace it and i just sold one for 40 bucks haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Jafxod View Post
      Get a new rear window haha, its a 5 minute job to replace it and i just sold one for 40 bucks haha.
      lol are you serious? fffffuuuuu
      i just hope i didn't damage the defroster..
      maybe i should quit being a j00 and shell out the $$ to get it done professionally haha

Comment

You can use vinegar sprayed on the tint. Then you put on some good shrink wrap (like the stuff to cover food). Heat with a heat gun for a while then peel it back.
        CCW- when every second counts... The police are just minutes away!

Comment

I chuckled at j00.
          Originally posted by Dozyproductions
          All girls fuck but not all girls fuck around with combustion engines.

Comment

Put water and dishwashing soap in a bottle. Squirt/spray the tinted area, making it completely wet. This will work best on a hot sunny day or like mentioned before a heat gun.
            If you use the heat gun method you will need a second person outside, heating the glass for a good 20 mins, if you go with the hot sunny day method you will only need 1 person and a razorblade.

Good luck with the removal.
            @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Originally posted by SoEm0 View Post
              You can use vinegar sprayed on the tint. Then you put on some good shrink wrap (like the stuff to cover food). Heat with a heat gun for a while then peel it back.

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
              Put water and dishwashing soap in a bottle. Squirt/spray the tinted area, making it completely wet. This will work best on a hot sunny day or like mentioned before a heat gun.
              If you use the heat gun method you will need a second person outside, heating the glass for a good 20 mins, if you go with the hot sunny day method you will only need 1 person and a razorblade.

Good luck with the removal.
              Thanks for the advice guys, but I finally just paid some tint professional $20 to take off the remaining tint.
              I think it was worth it to save myself the hassle.
              Plus, I returned the steam cleaner to Walmart for $80, so I didn't lose all that much in the end...#winning LOL

Comment

a little late but if you have one you could of also used a steamer and a razor blade and after put some goo gone to get rid of all the sticky shit, process works great ive done it to all my buddys cars and mine also..just sayin if it happens to ya again lol

Comment

Damn 60$ to remove it.. fuck.. the guy I take my cars to charges me 20!! But yea as every1 else said patients too, tint is always a bitch specially old. But glad you got it figured out.
                  sigpic
                  HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
                  " enjoy the show "

Comment

just be patient with the steamer and razor blade. Windex helped eat up the left over adhesive easily.
                    95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                    Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
                    LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

just the heat gun will do the job.
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                      ---------------------------------
                      89 E30 S52
                      ---------------------------------
                      Transaction Feedback.

Comment

TINT-OFF and a scrubber pad
                        Suspension tips here...
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

I used the steamer from wal-mart also, you just have to leave it in the corner for a bit to get a hold of an edge and it to comes off easy. no razor needed just steamer. You need to get it hot to were you almost burn your finger and move back and forth across your pull line, if glue is left on window that means you need to get it hotter. Then return the steamer for your money back since you only need it one time LOL. My tint guy was inpressed I removed the tint myself, I didn't even have to remove any extra glue, it all came off when pulling on film. Just go slow, took like you said about an hour for all windows.
                          "I wanna see da boat movie"
                          "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Working...
                          X