US Grill...why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Grill...why?

Vs Euro grill. Why did BMW make two style grills? Did they think the subtle aesthetic difference between the two would appeal more to the respective demographics? or is there some other reason?
    90 325is
    85 RZ350
    75 RD350
    7? RD400 race bike

I think it has to do with light cutoff, it had to meet the US standards therefor the missing portions.
    SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
    IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
    BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

Gotcha. Makes sense. Thanks.
      90 325is
      85 RZ350
      75 RD350
      7? RD400 race bike

Comment

You know, they say it's for US regulations, that the top part of the grille blocks the light, but I think it's bullshit. My euro grilles block the outer trim ring on my ellipsoids, which are a larger diameter than sealed beams. There is absolutely no way a euro grille blocks even a sliver of a sealed beam.
        1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
        You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

US car regulations are ridiculous. Point and case DBs. Rated at 5mph. SMH.
          SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
          IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
          BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

The kidney was completely vented on the us cars.

Overheating?

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
              The kidney was completely vented on the us cars.

Overheating?
              Actually, originally only the eS/iS/M3 and perhaps verts? had vented grills from the factory. Nowadays things get switched out and it doesn't make that big of a difference.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I think the vent/non-vent had something to do with aerodynamics.

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
                  You know, they say it's for US regulations, that the top part of the grille blocks the light, but I think it's bullshit. My euro grilles block the outer trim ring on my ellipsoids, which are a larger diameter than sealed beams. There is absolutely no way a euro grille blocks even a sliver of a sealed beam.
                  +1 on :weak: for domestic
                  '01 e46 330ci blk/blk (GF stole from me)
                  '90 e30 325i Traded
                  '95 e34 540i/manual swap (electric fire)
                  '96 miata M-edition (not quite an e30 so i got below car)
                  '93 Audi Urs-4 (like the e34 but still not an e30)
                  :hitler:

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                    I think the vent/non-vent had something to do with airconditioning.
                    fixed.

for U.S. specs, nothing could cover the light. which is why a different grill came on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
                      your car is either bent, headlight mount brackets f**ked, or just installed incorrectly.

Comment

I just thank bmw for making ellipsoids so i can have HIDS :)

Comment

Working...
                        X