Polishing bumpers how to?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • camip
    replied
    Please do I've busted ass getting most the scratches out. But there still some.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30_Pare
    replied
    I did a ton of step sanding & the result was a super shine. Yours looks good too. I'll repolish mine since its off the car so u can compare

    Leave a comment:


  • V8E30
    replied
    Originally posted by gp.plus
    V8e30.. Looks great man! I was afraid you would run into that problem with the oven cleaner, like pare said it is very thick on those bumpers, i have only ever used it (succesfully) on bicycle parts.
    If you use more varied grits of sand paper between 400 and 2000, youll get even better results. It is very hard to get out the 400 scratches with 2000, in the least use 400, 800, 1500, 2000. Always be sure to clean your bucket and start with fresh water when changing grit..
    Looking forward to pics on the car,
    might go back with like 800 and see if it takes some more of the small scratches out


    thanks man!

    Leave a comment:


  • E30_Pare
    replied
    Originally posted by camip
    I used a angle grinder to get the clear shit off now I'm fucked and have hella scratches.
    Ruh roh! Yea I think u fucked up bro. Tough ain't it :/

    Leave a comment:


  • Keith M
    replied
    They will sand out but it will take a lot of work. You might be better off finding another bumper and go from there. I restore vintage european cars and have done a ton of polishing so text me if you have any questions.

    Leave a comment:


  • camip
    replied
    I used a angle grinder to get the clear shit off now I'm fucked and have hella scratches.

    Leave a comment:


  • gp.plus
    replied
    V8e30.. Looks great man! I was afraid you would run into that problem with the oven cleaner, like pare said it is very thick on those bumpers, i have only ever used it (succesfully) on bicycle parts.
    If you use more varied grits of sand paper between 400 and 2000, youll get even better results. It is very hard to get out the 400 scratches with 2000, in the least use 400, 800, 1500, 2000. Always be sure to clean your bucket and start with fresh water when changing grit..
    Looking forward to pics on the car,

    Leave a comment:


  • slaterd
    replied
    Oh my gawd mount that shit! Get picks with close ups!

    Leave a comment:


  • V8E30
    replied
    first post page 1

    Leave a comment:


  • camip
    replied
    Where at?^

    Leave a comment:


  • V8E30
    replied
    how to is up and the afters as well hope you guys enjoy

    Leave a comment:


  • jw 325ic
    replied
    Interesting. I tried several metal polishes and like someone above said, it only did so much. Looked good from a viewers distance but up close it still wasnt perfect. I ended up painting them...sometimes i feel like finding another set of 88 bumpers and getting the chromed...hmm. Waiting for some pics :)

    Leave a comment:


  • V8E30
    replied
    going at it this weekend ill let you guys know if the oven cleaner works

    and how long i let it sit

    Leave a comment:


  • Holland
    replied
    Strip, sand, polish, clear, profit.

    Leave a comment:


  • camip
    replied
    Well fuck it then. I ain't polishing nothing.

    Leave a comment:

Working...