Benefits of Carbon Fibre bonnet and Boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benefits of Carbon Fibre bonnet and Boot

Just curious if anyone on here has put a Carbon Fibre bonnet and boot on their E30, and noticed much difference due to the lighter weight (handling & performance)

Just thinking of my future plans and want to think outside the square a little.

Would be extra groovy if someone in Australia has done this and can provide pricing ;)

Probably wont notice any difference on a street car, but on a dedicated track/race car where all the other heavy stuff in the car is gone, these are pretty easy items to she'd some pounds.
    My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Hmmm not even handling? Braking?

Comment

Originally posted by JC-E30 View Post
        Hmmm not even handling? Braking?
        It's more of a combined weight loss thing.
        When my 180lbs brother gets in the car with me, I notice it takes more effort to brake and needs a little more oomph to accelerate.
        When he's out, after a long ride, the car feels tossable again.

So think big picture. Cf trunk, hood, insulation gunk, and trunk tar is already a 120+ diet.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I noticed a significant difference in just switching to a 12lb hood on my street car. A good cheap way to see if it would be worth it is to take them off and drive around the block. If you love it, buy them. I left my trunk alone since I actually want weight on top of the wheels and balancing out the engine bay.

Comment

I will have my VIS cf hood up for sale soon. Keep eyes open.

I am away from my computer, being lazy!
            sigpicMy Project!

Official North Texas Bimmers Club E30 Representative

www.BimmerAlliance.net

"If you have questions about events or need help in the DFW area don't be afraid to contact me."

Comment

Hmmm ok cool. Not something I am jumping into just yet, but down the track I will be. Especially if I do an engine transplant and have a heavier engine up front... Currently the M42.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                Probably wont notice any difference on a street car, but on a dedicated track/race car where all the other heavy stuff in the car is gone, these are pretty easy items to she'd some pounds.
                actually, I think you will notice, at least if it's not one of the cheap ebay hoods that are really fiberglass with a CF overlay and about 5lbs of gel coat. the light hoods are around 10lbs which is about 30lbs off the front, plus it's pretty high up.

unfortunately real good quality CF hoods for the E30 are practically non-existant now, and even if you can get one but you probably won't like the price..

fiberglass hoods are light and cheap but they aren't solid enough for a street car. perfect for a track rat since looks don't matter.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I just sold my via bonnet for 115 on ebay...

I am away from my computer, being lazy!
                  Last edited by bigdrick323; 02-01-2013, 08:53 PM.
                  sigpicMy Project!

Official North Texas Bimmers Club E30 Representative

www.BimmerAlliance.net

"If you have questions about events or need help in the DFW area don't be afraid to contact me."

Comment

Working...
                  X