e30 Convertible Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 Convertible Top

Hey guys. I just got myself a 91 318i vert and it needs a new rear window really bad. I've been told that its cheaper just to replace the entire top than to re-stitch a new plastic window. Has anyone here tried the Ebay convertible top for $145? Or does anybody have any DIY suggestions?

Thanks!
    - Brandon
    Brandon - Alpine White 1990 325is - BigWheels.net
    sigpic

Im having the same problem I looked at the eBay top too. It seems like a deal for 150.00 but I also heard you have to replace 2 straps to prevent sag because they are not reusable.

Comment

I'm no expert but learning the trade, I've heard horrible stories about eBay tops. Fit / finish issues are supposedly very common. If the rest of the top is in good shape it's better to just do the window.
      - Josh
      1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
      Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

My back window was stitched I guess at some point and the previous owner used tape to put it back up and it looks pretty bad. I thought about stitching it back but the top has 2 other leaks and I can see daylight.

Kinda of on the fence about trying this

Replacement BMW E30 Convertible Top Window. 318i, 325i, Rear Vinyl Windows. Original BMW Zippers with New Plastic.

Comment

There's a really good DIY for a full replacement here:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=240865

Looks like OP is having issues with pics, but you can tell from the write up how involved a full install is.

Edit: the straps are functional, not cosmetic. They help the top fold down into the compartment correctly. When they go, you have to go around to both sides to tuck the top into the compartment.
          '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
          '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
          '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

OP I noticed the 149.00 looks no way even close to the 369.00 top with the 5 year warranty form the same eBay vendor Autotops direct.
            Check the pics of the 369.00

Comment

Bumping this thread, has anyone got one of those tops in the above post link? Or is there other places to get a top for an e30? I've seen them on ebay. But I'm a noob at what's good or not for replacement tops.
              Last edited by JasonC; 01-31-2014, 06:08 AM.

1992 BMW 325iC
              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

I got the OEM sonnenland top and tension straps from autotopsdirect on ebay. Great fit, no wrinkles or sagging anywhere. The top was very well made and easy to install. I did the whole install over a period of 3 days using the diy article linked previously.

Comment

Originally posted by frankie591 View Post
                  I got the OEM sonnenland top and tension straps from autotopsdirect on ebay. Great fit, no wrinkles or sagging anywhere. The top was very well made and easy to install. I did the whole install over a period of 3 days using the diy article linked previously.
                  Any pics of your replacement top? I'm also in the market for a new top very soon.
                  -Justin

sigpic

Current: BMWless for now... '15 Grand Cherokee & '03 Mach 1

Comment

For reference, the top used in the DIY link was from here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw...+1989&_sacat=0

This one is also recommended on several threads: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E30-3-Se...a7e1de&vxp=mtr

No affiliation but I have been researching them a lot lately.
                    Last edited by phenryiv1; 03-14-2014, 10:01 AM.
                    Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Working...
                    X