Tips for rolling rear fenders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for rolling rear fenders?

I got my fronts rolled last night with a heat gun and a baseball bat. Easy job and turned out great! Then I moved to the back. Should I get a pick and remove the seam sealer? The rears just dont want to budge. The metal is thicker and seems like it is going to be a real pita. Any tips?

I am considering using a cutoff wheel and taking off half of the lip and rolling the rest. I tried searching, but couldn't find anything specific to the rear fenders.

You need a bigger baseball bat.

But seriously, check your local forums for people who rent a fender roller, or people who offer the service. Usually ~50 per wheel.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

clean out the seam sealer, trust me. You wont be able to move the fender lip much at all without cleaning it out

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

buy a heat gun and rubber mallet and get busy

Comment

I would definitely try to use a fender roller. Tried it with a bat, even putting on bigger wheels and spacers, just for the roll, and couldn't get it far enough. It was picking up the whole body of the car... ended up having to use the fender roller tool, and it still didn't go as far as I'd like, but it's enough to get by.

Comment

I ended up using a roller but not enough heat. cracked the paint, but at least I can drive without destroying my fenders now. Definitely don't rush it. If you're in an impatient mood, come back and do it later, hah. Rear takes a bit more than the front, because like you said, the metal is quite a bit thicker.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by campbellj25 View Post
              I got my fronts rolled last night with a heat gun and a baseball bat. Easy job and turned out great! Then I moved to the back. Should I get a pick and remove the seam sealer? The rears just dont want to budge. The metal is thicker and seems like it is going to be a real pita. Any tips?

I am considering using a cutoff wheel and taking off half of the lip and rolling the rest. I tried searching, but couldn't find anything specific to the rear fenders.
              Cut off wheel and cut that underside lip off. My buddy and i seriously spent 5 hours trying to roll my rear fenders with out pulling the seam sealer or cutting it. Lets just say one forearm is bigger than the other now.

Originally posted by Northern View Post
              You need a bigger baseball bat.
              But seriously, check your local forums for people who rent a fender roller, or people who offer the service. Usually ~50 per wheel.
              This guy is right. No baseball bat in the world is going to roll the rear fender. Fender roller is the way to go for rear. Especially if you have to roll and pull. Unless you were a pro bodybuilder. /flex

Comment

Working...
              X