Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crinkle paint valve cover questions

My valve cover could use a refresher.

Anyone have a DIY procedure for applying crinkle paint on a valve cover? Whats the best way to get it clean and prep it for painting. Also, where can one gte high quality crinkle paint.

TIA

I used paint stripper to prep my valve cover... its thick barbque suace-looking stuff. Spread it all over the part, then let it sit for a bit, and then go at it with a wire brush. It took all the cosmoline and gunk off my intake manifold and valve cover and got it ready for a nice coat of paint.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

PM jordan on this. He does a wonderful job on them!

Tj, nice to see you here!

Comment

I still haven't got Jordan to spill the beans on which paint.... His paint looks top notch.

Comment

I should note that my parts aren't crinkle painted, just normal black engine paint. I was just refering to the point of cleaning the parts...

Thanks Mike!

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

BEAD BLASTER! Thats how i did mine, id have it no other way.

Brian

Comment

Mine was bare aluminum to begin with, but very dirty. I used some degreaser, a toothbrush and lots of patience to get ALL the grime off.

Then I used Plastikote wrinkle paint from Advance Auto.

Spray 3 heavy coats on, and use a heat gun to develop the wrinkles.

Comment

Originally posted by 65Matt
                Mine was bare aluminum to begin with, but very dirty. I used some degreaser, a toothbrush and lots of patience to get ALL the grime off.

Then I used Plastikote wrinkle paint from Advance Auto.

Spray 3 heavy coats on, and use a heat gun to develop the wrinkles.

That paint is garbage, and using a heat gun to cure it.... :roll:

The stuff i use cures to be hard as a fucking rock, wont chip or flake from the heat, or from routine abuse. The above paint will.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                  The stuff i use cures to be hard as a fucking rock, wont chip or flake from the heat, or from routine abuse. The above paint will.
                  But you wouldn't be telling us what it is anytime soon though, would you?

Comment

Originally posted by 808BMW
                    I know I know I know!!!!!!!!

But I cant give away Jordan's trade secret... I guess you could always purchase one, he offers an excellent core exchange. ;)
                    Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL
                      I know I know I know!!!!!!!!

But I cant give away Jordan's trade secret... I guess you could always purchase one, he offers an excellent core exchange. ;)
                      Yeah I know. But living in hawaii, the shipping would cost more than having Jordan paint it.

Comment

Yeah I know. But living in hawaii, the shipping would cost more than having Jordan paint it.
                        Hawaii is ugly, put it in a box and send it to me!

Ohhh boy I made a FUNNY! ;) 8)
                        Below the radar...

Comment

I will be painting soon. What does the crinkle look like when its on? Anyone want to give a man some pics?

I bombed Korea every night.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL
                            Hawaii is ugly, put it in a box and send it to me!
                            As long as you pay shipping... Just to let you know, it's an arm and a leg :P

Comment

Originally posted by Werksmini
                              I will be painting soon. What does the crinkle look like when its on? Anyone want to give a man some pics?
                              Nick Majka always told me that my valve cover and manifold (done by Jordan) looked like a Formica counter top. :D

Comment

Working...
                              X