Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85' bumper swap

Hello all,

I am new here and to e30's in general and came across a 1985 in great condition with low miles but it has the bumpers that stick out a lot like pictured in this article,

Mitom TV trực tiếp bóng đá hôm nay HD ⚽. Xem bóng đá trực tuyến Mì Tôm TV miễn phí. Cập nhật link xem truc tiep bong da sớm nhất tại web tructiepbongda MitomTV.

But I do not plan on buying this car if there is a fairly easy preferably kind of bolt on swap to get the bumpers to look like the ones in this artice

Also both bumpers look like the ones in the top artice and I know there is a back bumper on some e30's that matches the front bumper in the second artice.

Thanks in advance for letting me know how some do the swap,
    -Ben (Hopefully an e30 owner)

There are a few write ups here in the DIY section that tell you how to do the plastic bumper swap. To me none seem easy. If you want the plastic bumpers, buy a late model car (88-91). Otherwise, get the 85 and tuck the diving board bumpers, or get a set of eurobumpers.

Comment

Not easy to do plastics on an early model. It is a bolt on swap to put the correct "ëuro" bumpers on though.

Comment

The plastic bumper swap write up is on the main page. Front is fairly simple. It's the rear that requires some modifications to the bumper. http://www.r3vlimited.com/tech/bumper/bumper1.htm you can find plastic bumpers on 89-91 two and four door cars and 91-93 convertibles. Euro bumpers are almost a direct bolt on. Need to drill a few holes for the rear bumper bracket. But with euros are the cost and availability.

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Euro bumpers and mtec

Thank you for all the quick replys!

I like the look of the euro bumpers much better than the driving boards, does anyone have a reliable source where I could purchase a set or an individual?

Also these bumpers look a lot like the plastics on the updated e30 88-91. Can anyone tell me if these fit well? Are they a pain to fit? https://www.octanemotorsports.com/19...FUoWHwod77EAaA

Thank you!
          -Ben

Comment

Here's the front, http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E30-325....5L/ES1928129/

Here's the rear, http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E30-325....5L/ES1928128/

Also I noticed you said 88 got plastics along with another guy. But 88 still had the aluminum diving boards for us. As for that link you posted I think most people say to run away from them.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

85' bumper swap

I was gonna do exactly what you're thinking of doing OP, putting plastic bumpers on my early model, but if you can source all the parts for a euro bumper swap it's much more satisfying imo. Definitely stands out amongst other e30s. Here's a picture of my car for reference
              Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for all the help.

It's good to know that there is a good forum base for BMW E 30's. People who have been posting pics of their E euro bumpers please keep doing it I like looking at all the different angles! I know that there is an engine difference between a 1985 325I and a 1991 325I is there a very large difference? will I notice it when I drive the car? I am not an autocrosser but I do want a car that is fun to drive

-Ben
                Thanks again for the responses

Comment

I did the plastic bumper conversion on my 86.

Front end just bolts up.

Back end, you have to raise the bumper shocks, shorten the plastic bumper, and source an aftermarket rear valence (what I did) or cut one off a late model car and attach it your early model.

If I was to do it again I would have sourced diving boards and tucked them...when I bought my car it had an ugly body kit on it...
                  sigpic
                  Rescued 1986 325e Coupe
                  1988 325ix Touring 5spd currently being rescued
                  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada :finger:

Comment

Pretty much what everyone else said. If you click the link in my sig you can see more on this process as I went from the early diving boards to the plastic bumpers on my '87. I would have liked to have done the euro bumpers but was cost prohibitive.
                    "A BMW that needs nothing, has an owner that's not paying attention."

Comment

There's no such thing as a 1985 325I.

but anyways here's my 85 325e with euro bumper swap and also early euro valance.

And my 87 325es with plastic bumper swap (day I brought it home)

And the same car finished with euro bumpers and Zender front spoiler and rear apron.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Working...
                      X