Removing Side Molding Pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Side Molding Pieces

How do I remove the side molding pieces on my 2-door?

I have all the interior panels out of the car, and I see the li'l white plastic thingies that're holding the molding on to the car. How do I undo them, or get them to release?

And then, how do I get the molding back on :D ?

Thanks,

Each of the 3 pieces on each side is held in place by a screw/bolt. On the front short piece, its in the wheel well. On the door, its on the inside near the latch. On the rear piece, its also in the wheel well.

Once those are undone, just gently pry it off (it just snaps into those clips).
    A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do- Walter Gagehot

Comment

Great thread and great response.

Now we (myself included) can go clean all the wax build-up out of our moldings. :up:

Comment

you might want to get a few extra plastic clips from the bmw stealer. they break easily (depending on how old your car is). the ones that break the most are the ones holding on the smallest trim piece in the very front of the car, right behind the front fenders. just my 2 cents.
        '91 318is

Comment

Originally posted by christophbmw
          you might want to get a few extra plastic clips from the bmw stealer. they break easily (depending on how old your car is). the ones that break the most are the ones holding on the smallest trim piece in the very front of the car, right behind the front fenders. just my 2 cents.
          All mine were inside my door by the time I got done.

Comment

make sure you do this right, i damaged a few clips so now it doesn't hold on as well as it used to

Comment

Hrm - yeah - that's a good idea. I'll just order a million of 'em, coz I have a feeling all of mine are going to snap off :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Low Level E30
                Hrm - yeah - that's a good idea. I'll just order a million of 'em, coz I have a feeling all of mine are going to snap off :roll:
                The last time I checked they weren't very cheap. Just be careful, and go slow and you shouldn't have any problems.

Kyle
                1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
                DILLIGAF

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer8604
                  The last time I checked they weren't very cheap. Just be careful, and go slow and you shouldn't have any problems.

Kyle
                  Unfortunately, nothing seems to be cheap from the dealer...damn them... :evil: :x :(

I'll probably end up doin this too.
                  - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Sean

Kyle
                    Unfortunately, nothing seems to be cheap from the dealer...damn them... :evil: :x :(

Get a BMWCCA membership. It saves me a few bucks each time I buy clips and bolts from the stealer.

Comment

Originally posted by chesster6969
                      Originally posted by Sean

Kyle

Get a BMWCCA membership. It saves me a few bucks each time I buy clips and bolts from the stealer.
                      True there, I got one already - or, am associated with my Dad's.
                      - Sean Hayes

Comment

thread from the dead...

Anyone know the total number of clips for the molding on a 2 door?
                        I want to have all the clips in hand before i remove, shave and repaint
                        the trim.

thanks in advance, and it was this or a new thread.
                        sigpic

Comment

Check realoem, that will show you.

Closing SOON!
                          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

thanks, figured this might be useful information for others in the future...

Per RealOEM six of each are needed....

molding clip 51 13 1 876 128 ~0.95 @ bavauto
                            clamp 51 13 1 829 904 ~0.95 @bavauto
                            sigpic

Comment

Speaking of reviving old threads...

On my 1990 325is, only the center black molding one has a screw/bolt. The front and rear ones have a sort of "bulging pin" that locks into a grommet instead. So you get those out by gently prying them with a wide flat blade screwdriver and a credit card to protect the paint.

Comment

Working...
                              X