free body modificatiosn while painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

update

today i got my stud welder and started pulling the dents on the hood. heres some of the highlights:
    this is the stud welder, on sale at Harbor freight for $99.99

here's a welded stud

yours truly pulling out a dent

after the metal is flush or just a little above the surface then you snip off the stud and grind down whats left of it

here'd the hood dent free and ready for etching primer then filler primer

the filler primer will go on probably tomarrow, i'll keep ya'll updated when anything else new happens

Comment

Stud welder and a slide hammer.

All a man needs :)

Seriously tho, taking dents out any other way is just not the same.
      Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

interesting, so all you do is pull up on the stud and the metal pops back into place?
        ________
        INTERRACIAL MOVIES
        Last edited by ///M42 sport; 04-30-2011, 04:55 PM.
        Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
        http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport
          interesting, so all you do is pull up on the stud and the metal pops back into place?
          No, you dont pull up.

You use a slide hammer. And slowly hammer the dent up and out with it.

Comment

there is alot of crap at harbor freight, but this was probably one of the best tools i've ever bought from them, i had a dent that was right on top of a support brace for the hood, there was no was i could ever get a hammer and dolly on it, but this just pulled it up with about 2 or 3 sharp hits. it beats the heck outta drillin holes and using the old type of slide hammer.

Comment

damn, great work. i'm impressed to see other bodymen on this board.

i think you'll regret it later if you don't take your time and do the plastic bumper swap. you sure as hell are not going to want to paint again.

is it possible to shave the side molding? didnt you do that Jordan?

Comment

Yea, side molding can be shaved.. Im in the process of finishing my rear bumper. I still need to put clear coat on the bumper and rear valance before i can put the trim in, so I've been working on it. The rear trim has come out very nicely, I will get some pictures of it soon. I also did my front trim to kill some time. Doesnt look as good because i got carried away with sanding and you can see lines. The rear looks like real euro trim though.
                Old and improved:

Comment

I got a few really tiny dents where the usual dents are on our hoods, right inside the bump on the hood. I tried using a rubber mallet to pound them out a bit, but it didn't seem to work too well.

They are really feint. I was told by a friend over time, that dents sometimes cause the metal to actually bend? or, is he wrong? I could give the rubber mallet, or hammer on a towel one more shot if this isn't true.

I could get a picture up here to show ya, but do you knwo waht I mean? (the dents right in the center of the hood, not on the raising part, but right inside of it)

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread or anything, you just seem to know this stuff pretty well, so I figured I'd ask.
                  - Sean Hayes

Comment

A hammer and a towel to remove a dent? you've got to be fucking kidding me... sharp blows like that only do MORE damage.

removing dents is all about gentle massage, not sharp confined impacts that stretch the metal more.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                      A hammer and a towel to remove a dent? you've got to be fucking kidding me... sharp blows like that only do MORE damage.

removing dents is all about gentle massage, not sharp confined impacts that stretch the metal more.
                      Ok, I wasn't sure. I tried a bit, and guess I was lucky. Any suggestions then?

They were real soft anyway, probably why nothin happened.. :oops:
                      - Sean Hayes

Comment

Working...
                      X