Windshield Rubber Surround...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windshield Rubber Surround...

Where do i get new ones? Mine is brown. Would i have to have someone else do it or could i do it my self?
    thanks

dealer and most recyclers will sell them (full rubber black stripping). you can do it, it's just a matter of removing the glass without breaking it, then putting it back in.
    I retired my E30 for now...
    E46 323i
    David Schultz

Comment

have you tried "back-to-black" or similar products yet?

Comment

hmm...i was thinking he was talking about the crappy chrome strips on the early models. if not, just go get some black chrome. that's the best stuff.
        E46 323i
        David Schultz

Comment

Mine is so faded as well, its not a gray or anything, its more of a tan/white now. :(

I don't know how to fix it. I'd probably have to get some SEM trim paint and mask the whole area off and spray it....

Comment

Mine was never black, it was chrome.

Are all e30s black or chrome?

Sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by BMW BMXER
              Mine was never black, it was chrome.

Are all e30s black or chrome?
              Early models had chrome ones, later models had black.

Comment

I used a spray can of "bumper paint". It looks great and hasn't chipped at all.

-Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385
                  back to black is garbage. it lasts for about a day and dries all splotchy..
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                    Originally posted by rwh11385
                    back to black is garbage. it lasts for about a day and dries all splotchy..
                    Yup. I tried it on the trim of my diving boards on my old car, and it looked great until the next time I washed it, and I swear they ended up looking worse than before.

Comment

Are we all talking about the same piece here? Im talking about the immediate surrounding of the windshield. Or are there actually chrome ones, cause wouldnt that be a liitle tough to remove?

Comment

the early windshield surround trim piece consists of 2 parts, the weather stripping and the actual "trim". early models (like mine) had the retarded plastic chrome crap that turns brown over the years.

As you can see, the chrome L shaped trim on the bottoms will tell you what type yours is. If you don't have them, you've got a plain black rubber one. i'm pretty sure the black one is just one piece. it will look like this:

Anyway...if you've got the chrome trim and it has discolored, it is pretty worthless to paint it. Replace it with the black trim, condition it with Black Chrome cleaner, and be done with it.
                        E46 323i
                        David Schultz

Comment

that car looks hot

Comment

No one in this thread knows what they are talking about.

The later style black locking stripe is just as many peices as the chrome one. Its just black plastic instead.

You DO NOT have to remove the glass from the gasket to replace a faded locking strip

Buy the black locking strips and corners new from the dealer or bavauto etc. Its really not that expensive.

If it is the actual window gasket you are looking to replace, it only comes in black, its kinda spendy, and you will have to remove the glass to change it out.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                            https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

So Jordan it seems changing the locking strip is fairly simple?

Sold it.

Comment

Working...
                              X