Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So tell me about how my sunroof is sealed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So tell me about how my sunroof is sealed...

Baiscally i've traced my leak to my sunroof. what i'm wondering is, what is leaking, that is causing it to drain to the trunk? Is that cloth looking seal that surrounds the sunroof the only seal it has? What should i test/replace to try to get it sealed off. thanks.
    Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
    Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

That seal is just a wind seal. It is not designed nor intended to keep water out. Thats why there are drains there.

Try blowing compressed air into your drain pipes, or fishing a coat hanger down in.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
      That seal is just a wind seal. It is not designed nor intended to keep water out. Thats why there are drains there.

Try blowing compressed air into your drain pipes, or fishing a coat hanger down in.
      so are the drains that go to the trunk the secondary drains for the sunroof? or are those two rubber tubes running into the wells in the trunk related to something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzen
        so are the drains that go to the trunk the secondary drains for the sunroof? or are those two rubber tubes running into the wells in the trunk related to something else?
        I think the tubes going into the trunk are from the sunroof, but they should be hooked up to the vent / flaps on both sides of the trunk to drain the water outside ( the water would come out "inside" of the bumpers on the rear quarter panels) I think......it's been a while since I've been back there.

Comment

just snagged this picture..

What isn't going where it should (and yes, that IS like 3" of standing water in my trunk.. time to go dry it up again.

Comment

WOW i'm a freaking retard.

i decided to check the other side to see where that tube was running, and its running into that little hole right there that looks perfectly fitted for the tube.. IM SUCH A GENIOUS!!!

shit.. i'm so retarded, and apparently so was the old owner, considering he popped out that little circle part thats removeable from the chassis (luckily he left it in the well, so i resecured it)

hopefully this solves all of my trunk draining issues.

Comment

yeah, I was going to say.. you just got to plug it into that tube sized hole in the vent :)

oh, there should be a drain hole at the bottom of that compartment. makes it easy to drain the stupid thing when it fills up (almost like BMW knew the trunk was going to leak!).
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                yeah, I was going to say.. you just got to plug it into that tube sized hole in the vent :)

oh, there should be a drain hole at the bottom of that compartment. makes it easy to drain the stupid thing when it fills up (almost like BMW knew the trunk was going to leak!).
                there is.. i found the plug for it sitting down tehre awhile back and was like wtf? i guess water is rushing up through the hole when i'm driving!

so i put it back in and sealed it with silicone sealant.. lol

Well before i figured this out, i bought some rear light seals from the dealer, they should be here soon. hopefully that will be the end of my leak issues.

Comment

Working...
                X