Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!! Frustration with M Tech II steering wheel install in airbag car

Hi guys,

I'm really struggling on my M Tech II install on my '91 325i. I have the correct spacer, but cannot get the wheel down far enough for the turn signals/horn/steering lock to work. It feels like the c-clip that holds the spring on the spline is up too high. I've tapped it down with a mallet, but I'm still about 1/8th of an inch away from where I need to be. I can push the wheel down to the appropriate depth, but it pops back up once the steering lock is released. Any help on this would be appreciated as I'm going crazy.

FYI, I just purchased the car. Only other variable I can think of is that the steering rack was replaced with a Z3 rack by the prior owner. Thanks in advance!

There are plenty of threads about this topic and it is fairly straightforward. Make sure you bought the right M tech 2 wheel for an E30. People are selling E36 wheels for E30 premium prices to unsuspecting buyers. The back of the wheel should look similar to the airbag wheel you are removing. The spacer goes in between the wheel and the nut that secures the wheel. Multiple washers can also be used. Finally, make sure the steering column is unlocked and remove the plastic spring loaded peg with a pair of pliers.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Believe me, I’ve done all the research on this and other forums. I can confirm I have the correct wheel. Most guidance is to keep the spacer behind the wheel, and with it removed, I get a lot of squeaking/rubbing on the column when I turn the wheel.

Any other thoughts?

Comment

Make sure you didn't damage the splines on either the wheel or column.

Comment

So when I did my mtech and out the spacer on the turn signals wouldn’t work . So I pulled the wheel off and noticed it already had a spacer before so essentially I had it double stacked . Just a suggestion may not be your problem

Comment

Originally posted by Laguna E30 View Post
            Believe me, I’ve done all the research on this and other forums. I can confirm I have the correct wheel. Most guidance is to keep the spacer behind the wheel, and with it removed, I get a lot of squeaking/rubbing on the column when I turn the wheel.

Any other thoughts?
            Did you remove the white plastic peg? There must be something you are missing. Posting pics of the wheel and the column will help.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

SOLVED...The retaining ring had popped out of its spot, resulting in the spring around the shaft pushing up too far. Answer is to flip the spacer around and tighten the steering wheel on. This will push the ring down into its groove, creating the correct amount of spacing for the wheel to be installed properly. Then, remove wheel, flip spacer around properly, and reinstall.

Comment

Originally posted by Laguna E30 View Post
                SOLVED...The retaining ring had popped out of its spot, resulting in the spring around the shaft pushing up too far. Answer is to flip the spacer around and tighten the steering wheel on. This will push the ring down into its groove, creating the correct amount of spacing for the wheel to be installed properly. Then, remove wheel, flip spacer around properly, and reinstall.
                Thanks for the update.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X