Shift Boot Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift Boot Pattern

Has anyone used this shift boot pattern with success? Does it need to be "roomier" or enlarged in any dimension? Does the diameter of the hole for the shift knob base need to be adjusted? Is there elastic at the knob, or just a slip fit?

I'll order a new plastic base frame - it's a manual swap, we don't have the old one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	N3iwrCN full scale 11x17.png
Views:	4355
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	10039244

Here's the knob we put on it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	E30 shift knob 2.JPG
Views:	2942
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	10039245

that either needs more seam allowance at the sides or you need to stitch 1/4" inward.
    sigpic

Comment

Wow, thanks!

Any thoughts on the shift collar hole?

Comment

personally, i'd stitch it through to the collar opening. as in, the diagram says to stop but i'd go further to prevent unravelling of the thread, a lot of force and movement there. as far as the size, i can't say, there's no scale.

edit: upon further inspection, that doesn't look right... i have a boot i can tear apart. let me seam rip it and see what it looks like on flat. i'll put a scale for dimensions too since that's a necessity.
        sigpic

Comment

That pattern prints at full scale on 11x17. I can scale it.

In your earlier post, did you mean just stitch farther in along the sides for seam allowance, not make the pattern wider? It does look too close.

Stitching up around the curve makes some sense. Is the short top end that gets folded down around the shifter stitched at the hem or fold? Some I see are hemmed there, most are not.

The dimensions of the shift knob collar are 25mm diameter x 45mm tall. I'm assuming you want the fabric to fit snug over that and push up to the base of the wood. It's stock, not a short shifter.

Comment

You can get a shift boot from China for $9-20, rip out the seams, and use it as a pattern.
            You'll probably need the plastic base too.

Get the best deals for e30 shift boot at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Comment

Prolly tru.

This pattern came from an old r3v post, so so far I trust it. Have a new frame ordered.

Comment

You can get any old fabric, cut it according to the template, quickly stitch it up using a needle, and try it on.
                Only when everything fits correctly, use your expensive fabric or leather.

That's how any seamstress will work.

Comment

Now that's all very logical. I shoulda thought of that.

Small issue - the car is 1700 miles away and this is an Xmas present. I could just send him a mock-up and ask him if it fits though.

Comment

, hi,
                    just a thought ,,,
                    wot type original seat interior u have ?
                    i may well have that very cloth matching your seats for it as a boot !

Comment

Thanks - I found some nice textured upholstery fabric at a fabric store with a tan and black woven pattern.

Comment

Working...
                      X