Non airbag wheel on airbag column issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non airbag wheel on airbag column issues

I kept the airbag column in my project because the lower joint fits better on an e36 rack (I have a good non bag column but the lower joint was trashed)
    anyway, I’m having issues with spacing on the upper section. Everyone says to add a spacer under the wheel to make this swap work.. my stalks are too close to the wheel. I’ve read that people bend them.. but isn’t there a better way?
    Also, with just ONE spacer, the wheel will not tighten down. The nut bottoms out on the threads before touching the wheel.
    So I’m thinking, does it need TWO spacers? It tightens fine with two of them, and the spacing is nice for the stalks… BUT my turn signal cancel doesn’t work because the cam on the wheel is too far away. Click image for larger version

Name:	EF6E5340-A876-4AB5-914B-E476832C7145.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	10097516
    Any ideas?
    pics are screen shots of videos I have over here https://www.facebook.com/beyer66/vid...ibextid=v7YzmG Click image for larger version

Name:	C817A5DA-8365-40DC-8237-9835807BEF2D.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	10097517 Click image for larger version

Name:	64C96772-DCBD-4AD1-9917-1BD525AC8BDC.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	10097515

Iirc, no spacer behind the wheel, just in front to take up the slack so the nut can torque the wheel down. That's the function of the spacer. I used 3 or 4 hardware store washers instead...they were easier to source.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      Iirc, no spacer behind the wheel, just in front to take up the slack so the nut can torque the wheel down. That's the function of the spacer. I used 3 or 4 hardware store washers instead...they were easier to source.
      well that would work, but I’d still need one spacer behind the wheel. I just don’t understand my my e30 stuff is always SO different compared to what everyone else has been doing for 20+ years.
      I’ve searched and searched and cannot find anyone else that’s had the issue I have here
      ALTHOUGH someone on FB did Inform me that bmw made different stalks for airbag/non airbag columns.. and I have the non airbag stalks on the bench which is good, but that still doesn’t really sort out my spacer/tightening issue unless I use one under and one on top

Comment

Bending the stalks isn't hard at all. You only need to bend them slightly at the joint to increase spacing. Also, remove the white spring loaded peg completely. It's no longer needed. Some people jam it down but if it pops out it will obstruct the movement of the wheel.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
        X