Loose seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loose seats

So I am in the process of replacing the shocks on my seats. They are sport seats. While I have the seat out, I am also going to try to figure out what makes it loose, and I am hoping somebody can help.

To begin, it was securely bolted into the car. The looseness isn't from that, I know that much. Furthermore, the motion is still there when the seat is simply on the floor. So I had my wife sit in the seat (which is presently in the middle of my kitchen) and I pushed the seat around and I saw where it is loose, but frankly I don't see how it can be fixed, and now I wonder if this is just how E30 seats are. I am, by the way, very new to the E30 universe.

I have pictures below to hopefully help illustrate where the looseness is. Any ideas?
    Attached Files
    E30 M52B28

Maybe this can help http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e30/int...seat_back.html
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rammstein View Post
      So I am in the process of replacing the shocks on my seats. They are sport seats. While I have the seat out, I am also going to try to figure out what makes it loose, and I am hoping somebody can help.

To begin, it was securely bolted into the car. The looseness isn't from that, I know that much. Furthermore, the motion is still there when the seat is simply on the floor. So I had my wife sit in the seat (which is presently in the middle of my kitchen) and I pushed the seat around and I saw where it is loose, but frankly I don't see how it can be fixed, and now I wonder if this is just how E30 seats are. I am, by the way, very new to the E30 universe.

I have pictures below to hopefully help illustrate where the looseness is. Any ideas?
      you are missing spacers, there are thin metal washers that goes in there to hold them tightly in. usually 1 or 2 on each side. good pictures btw. easy to see whats going on.

Comment

Originally posted by thereisnoyun View Post
        you are missing spacers, there are thin metal washers that goes in there to hold them tightly in. usually 1 or 2 on each side. good pictures btw. easy to see whats going on.
        Any ideas on where to get these spacers? Could this perhaps be accomplished with a home depot trip? I'm already headed there tomorrow- need to buy a huge C-Clamp to compress these damn shocks- they are really stiff!
        E30 M52B28

Comment

While I am at it, when I reinstall, what are the torque values for the bolt where the seatbelt attaches to the seat, and for the seat to the car?

A search revealed 35 ft/lbs for the seatbelt, and I haven't found anything for the seats yet.
          E30 M52B28

Comment

Originally posted by rammstein View Post
            While I am at it, when I reinstall, what are the torque values for the bolt where the seatbelt attaches to the seat, and for the seat to the car?

A search revealed 35 ft/lbs for the seatbelt, and I haven't found anything for the seats yet.
            yes, home depot trip might work, though they are kind of like spring washers, push in and expand. But a regular washer might work.

torque it hand tighten and yank it a little bit. Dont pull out your torque wrench for that.

Comment

Any idea on where these washers might be located on this diagram? I'm trying to find somewhere that I can see what they look like...

E30 M52B28

Comment

:tsk:
                Originally posted by thereisnoyun View Post
                torque it hand tighten and yank it a little bit. Dont pull out your torque wrench for that.
                Good way to eff some shit up. 32-35 ft. lbs for both seat mounts and seat belts per bentley pg 14-17 and 14-18.

Comment

Bringing this back from the dead! Looks like the OP hasn't been on r3v since 2015... but maybe someone else has feedback.

I've had this very wobble for years now...driving me nuts. So, sounds like we need new wave washers in there?
                  - Sean Hayes

Comment

^ I have no idea. My seat is in rough shape. I've already repaired the upper tabs on it, and now there's something wrong with the raise/lower mechanism and something broken at the pivot point. I really need to take it all apart and fix that + recover it.
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by thedeal View Post
                      :tsk:

Good way to eff some shit up. 32-35 ft. lbs for both seat mounts and seat belts per bentley pg 14-17 and 14-18.
                      lol
                      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Anyone figured this out?
                        Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Got a pair of sport Seats with the same issue. anyone ever figure out what part is needed to fix this?

Comment

the wobble is possibly caused by a snap in the metal,, happens on the rachets where they bolt to the frame. or the frame itself,

i do have good rachets & frames available. !

please pm

Comment

DIY fix, not sure how long it will last but worked for me lol
                              check out the pics

i used a washer to fill in the gap . Installed seat and a lot more solid

Also found that one of the two rails had a lot of movement. I found that the loose rail was missing two small ball bearings see pic 2. I greased them and tapped them in with a small bar and hammer

Comment

Working...
                              X