Leather Dye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leather Dye

Anyone knoew of a good leather dye? My black seats are cracked pretty bad. I've mosturized and cleaned the hell out of em but obviously the cracks still show. thanks for the help.

Darin

Dying leather doesn't make cracks go away.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I hear the spray can shit you can get from a good paint shop will cover them for awhile. the cracks that is.
      E30 325ix 62k

Comment

Trevor Ely
        '95 M Sport 540i - '00 A4 1.8TQMS - '85 190E 2.3-16
        '88 535is - '87 325e - '89 325is - '91 318is - '90 325is - '96 328is

Comment

Leatherique is good stuff. Frankly, if you're not trying to change color but just color the faded spots and make the cracks less noticable, just get some Kiwi Leather liquid scuff cover that comes in a bottle. Its in most every grocery store and costs about $5. It works great, and softens/conditions too. Be prepared to do the whole seat (doesn't take long) as it will make everything darker likely.
          A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do- Walter Gagehot

Comment

DO NOT USE KIWI PRODUCTS!!!! They are HORIBLE. My parents own there own business and use leather products a lot. Kiwi will look good for a while, but then it will dry out and crack even more. See if you can find a place that sells Meltonian shoe polish. It is the best by far and is only a few dollars a jar. After you use this, you will need to seal the leather or else the polish will rub off on who ever sits on the seats, regardless of how much you buff it off.

Comment

is recovering the seats with new leather out of the question? From what I know, it's not too overly expensive.
              ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

It's not out of the question. A lot easier then finding a nother back seat in good condition, but also a lot more money. I would call around and get some price quotes.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver
                  It's not out of the question. A lot easier then finding a nother back seat in good condition, but also a lot more money. I would call around and get some price quotes.
                  yah, i was meaning, is it out of question for the guy asking the question to do a recover because it would cost too much. Properly recovering would look much better than touching it up... obviously.
                  At my old job, we used to get an upholstry company recover stock cloth interior car with leather and it was only like $1000 CAD. Keep in mind that this job included front and rear seats, side panels, armrest and so on. To me, that's very reasonable.
                  ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver
                    DO NOT USE KIWI PRODUCTS!!!! They are HORIBLE. My parents own there own business and use leather products a lot. Kiwi will look good for a while, but then it will dry out and crack even more. See if you can find a place that sells Meltonian shoe polish. It is the best by far and is only a few dollars a jar. After you use this, you will need to seal the leather or else the polish will rub off on who ever sits on the seats, regardless of how much you buff it off.
                    Thats strange, given that Kiwi and Meltonian are made by the same company. I'm surprised they would let such a harmful time delayed ingredient into one product line's contents. Any idea what the difference is?

What company do they own? I'm always buying leather/supplies
                    A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do- Walter Gagehot

Comment

I'm looking at possibly picking up a pair of black leather sports seats. They have no rips, but the bolsters have quite a few cracks, making them look a little faded. Would it be possible to either re-dye them black not to eliminate the cracks, but just to give a more uniform color?

Comment

Yes, Meltonian is made by Kiwi. No, I don't know why they are so different. It may be due to the fact that Meltoian was bought by Kiwi not long ago (5-10 years maybe) and just kept the same product line/formula.

If you die leather, you will have to polish it and seal it. Dying tends to flatten the finish of leather and it will no longer apear glossy. You have to polish it and then use a product to seal it or the polish and/or die will come off on your clothes, etc..

Comment

My leather isnt too bad but on the driver side sport seat the bolster for your lower left back/side(sitting in the seat) is kinda ~crooked probably from the previous ower siding in and out, but is there any fixto bend it back into place. I didnt notice unitl I went and sat in the passenger side and then took the seats out and looked at both of them. I post a pic but right now I will go and take the pics.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

This is the drivers side seat

This is the passenger side seat it is in mint condition

The drivers side bolster that is ~bent

This is the thigh bolster that has a popped seam that should be fixable

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

I was looking for a leather dye too and I found this one:
                              http://www.leathermagic.com/Secure/e...log.asp?prdc=4https://<br /> <br /> They actually ...en I find out.
                              1990 325is

Comment

Working...
                              X