Steering Wheels??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Wheels??

I'm having trouble deciding which wheel I want to get, I was thinking of the M-Technic II wheel (370mm) or the Momo mod 80 (350mm)

Any other wheel you think looks nice in the e30, please post it... When it’s all said and done I want to spend no more than $250 on the wheel and any adapter necessary...

Thanks
    -Jason

Re: Steering Wheels??

Originally posted by e30kid
    I'm having trouble deciding which wheel I want to get, I was thinking of the M-Technic II wheel (370mm) or the Momo mod 80 (350mm)

Any other wheel you think looks nice in the e30, please post it... When it’s all said and done I want to spend no more than $250 on the wheel and any adapter necessary...

Thanks
    My vote is for the M-Tech II. I think it's awesome because it's fairly small, the rim of the wheel is nice and thick, and it's an OEM part, so it bolts right in. It looks great in any E30, and you can find one in stellar condition for $200-250 easily. I'm not a big fan of aftermarket race-style steering wheels in cars, just because they usually look so out of place. In an all-out track car, sure. But in most cars, they just look silly.

Comment

M Tech II gets my vote, but I like the M Tech I as well. Schnitzer and Alpina also make nice wheels, but they are hard to find.

As Josh stated most other aftermarket race style wheels look out of place in a stock car.
      Continuous For Sale Thread
      323i s50

Comment

Originally posted by Court M3
        M Tech II gets my vote, but I like the M Tech I as well. Schnitzer and Alpina also make nice wheels, but they are hard to find.

As Josh stated most other aftermarket race style wheels look out of place in a stock car.
        ditto

Comment

I know a guy that has a mint M Tech II w/ original box for $225. Let me know if ya want it.
          sigpic

Comment

Stock wheels are too big, get the Momo.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I was never a fan of Momo wheels until I bought my Nissan, which came with one. It's very thick and has a much better feel than the M-Technic II, which feels paper thin in comparison. Not all Momo wheels look racy either:

One important thing: The M-Technic II was designed to clear the top of the gauges, but the Momo will probably block the top of the speedometer and tachometer.

'86 325 2.8i stroker - Arctic Blue
              '11 328i Sports Wagon - LeMans Blue
              Strictly Eta

Comment

I'm likin the Mtech1, but am already wanting something smaller in diameter.
                - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Fred
                  That is one seriously sexy steering wheel. If it came in the same diameter as the M-Tech II, I would consider one.

Comment

It depends on what your car looks like

If your going for the modern look then go with the Mtech2
                    If your going for the old school look go with the Mtech1

When I see the opposite I think it looks like poo

Comment

I vote Mtech 2. Its at home in most E30s and the fit is factory.

I dont know how small I would want to go, my Alpina(momo) wheel is 360mm and I have to have the seat lowered (sport seat where the entire seat chassis moves up/down) all the way to see the gauges, even then the very top of the gauges are cut off. Its a shame too because I prefered sitting as high as I could, but even the 380mm Mtech2 would have required me lowering the seat but I could see all of the gauges then.
                      Im now E30less.
                      sigpic

Comment

I like the M-tech 1, but I am going for the old school look. I had no problem with it at the autox.
                        The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed88
                          Originally posted by Fred
                          That is one seriously sexy steering wheel. If it came in the same diameter as the M-Tech II, I would consider one.
                          I doubt Momo makes anything over 350, maybe 360mm. But don't forget that you are probably going to sit a lot lower in your Corbeau seats. I can run a 350mm in my car no problem without any gauges cut off, because I sit 4-5" lower than stock seats do.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Ive been through 6 different steering wheels in my e30 so I figured I would comment. First steering wheel I had was the stock mtech 1 wheel, it was way to big for my taste. I went from the mtech1 to the mtech2 and the mtech 2 steering wheel is one of my favorite steering wheels on the planet. Its very nice looking, feels great and bolts right up. I ended up selling it and getting an all suede sparco lap 3 (330 mm). It cut off my gauges but that never bothered me a whole lot. I was only bothered by the fact that the suede wore way to quick. I sold it for a 320 mm momo and I liked it, felt like a go kart wheel but it was just to small for every day use. Sold it and used a cheap 330mm grant wheel while I looked for the perfect wheel. Ditched the grant for what I have now, a 330 mm sparco wheel. 3 quarters leather, top quarter is suede and I love it. I use an ACS horn button, the wheel looks great, it cuts the gauges off with stock seats but Im now using racing seats so Im fine, and I got it for a great deal. I would recommend the mtech2 for a nice factory look or a 330 mm race wheel. I hope I helped. If you like I can get you pictures of the wheel I have now.

Comment

Working...
                            X