Gauge Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge Lighting

It is amber, has anyone done anything different? If so how did you do it? I noticed that the parts that direct light up under the gauges are amber. Just wondering, I would like mine blue :)

No.
    '91 E30 316i
    '97 Rover Mini 1275

Comment

no.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
      i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
      Originally posted by slammin.e28
      Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing...bump!

Comment

no. (in spanish)
          ]

Comment

if you want to be a ricer just look up "E30 glow gauges" on ebay and pick the bluest ones you can find.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

no (in ricer)

Comment

( f ; _ ; )f

Comment

No

Amber was chosen by BMW and is still used by them because the human eye can adjust quickly to seeing amber in dark conditions, also your eyes are not overwhelmed by the color when looking out over the dash to drive. So to recap, amber allows you to glance at your gauges at night and get the info you need and also lets you drive without being blinded by your own gauges.

And just for good measure, no!
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                  Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

whatever, I hated amber... I spent a lot of time driving cross country and I had to make the switch. Got a set that lights up in amber, green and blue. Always switch to green when driving into the night, my don't hurt at all.

And amber has nothing to do with BMW engineers choosing it as the best color.

Comment

Amber is a comfortable color to look at. My headunit is in bright blue, and when I'm out driving in the dark for a longer period of time, it makes me annoyed.

Of course some of it has to do with the brightness, but still.

I would like to upgrade to the newest type of gauges, tho. They look cool
                      '91 E30 316i
                      '97 Rover Mini 1275

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
                        whatever, I hated amber... I spent a lot of time driving cross country and I had to make the switch. Got a set that lights up in amber, green and blue. Always switch to green when driving into the night, my don't hurt at all.

green and amber are both acceptable. Guess what color lights on in an airplane are? they certainly aren't blue..
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I am blind just looking at this picture!

Comment

yeah i did some quick "ill show you" research and it came up that green was the most easily seen color for the human eye, so i guess its good that im kinda hungry cause my words are looking pretty appetizing. though i still prefer a nice orangy glow rather than green. and would never do blue.
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                            Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

^IIRC - the human eye is most sensitive to red-ish light, the color of the sun. As I understand the engineer's thinking is that since the eye is most sensitive to that color, you need less brightness of that color to be able to see something (such as the dash) and as a result, your pupils will be larger, letting in more of the light from the road into your eye and you'll see the road better....blah, blah, blah...I know the space shuttle uses it, and I want ot say fighter jets do to(?) Anyways...

--------------

looks like Darth Vader's bathroom. ;)

Last edited by george graves; 01-12-2011, 12:04 AM.
                              Originally posted by Matt-B
                              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                              X