ashtray ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ashtray ideas?

I don´t smoke, nobody in my family does, and no one will anyway ever be allowed to smoke in my car, so having 2 ashtrays in it is pretty much pointless. So I´m trying to come up with something somewhat original to do with them or the space they take. Gauges are the first thing that comes to mind, but no turbo plans for me and I won´t ever be looking down there while driving (especially the rear ashtray), that kind of defeats that purpose, even more so with more easy-to-read spots to place gauges, like the center vent. So, I´m out of ideas! Throw me a bone, R3V!
    1998 528i auto on staggered DSII

USB ports. AUX in. Church key. Bluetooth. 120V outlet. Radar readout.Flashlight.

Comment

spare change for parking meters
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Nice Lighter Leash Luke!

Comment

^^ I'm sorry, is that just a square "bin" with no smoker stuff in there?
            Slicktop City!

Comment

Originally posted by ldsbeaker View Post
              ^^ I'm sorry, is that just a square "bin" with no smoker stuff in there?
              Its a stock part. Don't know much about it besides its called a coil tray

Here it is on realoem.com

Number 14, Part Number:72601942786

Comment

Thank you.
                Slicktop City!

Comment

Originally posted by ldsbeaker View Post
                  Thank you.
                  Its 40 dollars on pelican parts.com, I would email blunttech.com before you purchase it, he will almost always beat EVERYONES price

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...ng%20Partition

Comment

Luke: with the exception of the window switches I like that setup you have going there. What's the little knob with a blue LED below the ignition?
                    Still, I will place the GPS somewhere closer to the windshield.

Flashlight: I have the factory BMW in the glove box, but it doesnt illuminate much...and I have two others (both LED). Only one of them would fit there, but it's kinda pointless.

Bluetooth? could be. I can't think of anything running 120V that I would carry or need in the car, so no. USB port or AUX in are both great ideas, if only I was considering reinstalling the radio and speakers (soon for sale). I love music, but I love even more the purr of a BMW engine. That's the music to my ears. I know, I know. What am I gonna do if I take a trip even only a couple hours long? We'll see...

Parking meters in Raleigh are found only downtown and you can pay with plastic. Besides, everybody already uses their ashtray for change. I wanted to do something different, doesn't matter if I have to remove it.

So far I'm liking the idea of the radar readout. So now I need a radar...
                    I was thinking of CB radio for some period-correctness, but that would be too neanderthal even for me. Maybe I'll do a super-sleek and clean install for the phone charger (no more cables lying around).
                    It would be radically cool to install one of those touch-screen pad laptops (pimp my ride, anyone?) but I think they're pricey for now.

thanks for the ideas so far. Anything else?

Comment

I made this years ago. I fitted an e36 coinholder into the e30 ashtray.

Comment

Luke's install looks cool and purposeful. I really like Erik's idea too but the oem coin tray is the ultimate.
                        harry/harout

Comment

I like that coin holder too. The little button on the left opens it?
                          How hard is it to fit/make it fit?

Comment

Originally posted by bmw325csi View Post
                            I really like Erik's idea too but the oem coin tray is the ultimate.
                            How is the oem coin tray ultimate? It's just an open tray for your coins to rattle around in.
                            Originally posted by Gadea View Post
                            I like that coin holder too. The little button on the left opens it?
                            How hard is it to fit/make it fit?
                            No, it opens like the stock ashtray. The little button on the left was my garage door opener.

It wasn't terribly difficult to fit. You just need to cut the coinholder off an e36 center console, cut a hole in the bottom of your ashtray, and glue/epoxy it all together inside your e30 ashtray. Of course it takes a bit more effort than it seems to make it all fit and look right.

Comment

I keep a few spare bolts nuts and screws in both my cars, in the e30 they are in the rear. just in case.
                              Been with me for 16 years...
                              sigpic
                              Wish i had more time to play with her

Comment

Working...
                              X