Steering wheel thickness Mtech I vs Mtech 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel thickness Mtech I vs Mtech 2

this is a question that is probably best answered by owners who have owned both but does anyone know if the mtech I steering wheel is as thick as the mtech 2 in terms of grip? While others would instantly tell me to just go for the tech 2. I prefer the tech 1 because I personally think it matches the interior of the e30 more but ultimately it comes down to comfort and functionality more so than looks.

If you like the looks of the mtech1, I say stick with it. Just make sure it's the small diameter model.

Comment

I like the M Tech 1 wheel but it was too big so I went to M Tech 2. At first I wasn't crazy about the bulky airbag look but I like the size and ergonomic thumb grips. I believe the thickness is the same except for the thumb grip area.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Easy way to make it thicker is just rewrap the tech1 and not remove the first layer of leather.

For what its worth, I have had both, and I like the feel of the tech1. I agree it also suits the cars aesthetics better too. Also, they might be the same, but I want to say the tech1 is a little thicker. That might only be because of the ergo grips on the tech 2 have a thinner and thicker section... but I like my small tech 1.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
          I like the M Tech 1 wheel but it was too big so I went to M Tech 2. At first I wasn't crazy about the bulky airbag look but I like the size and ergonomic thumb grips. I believe the thickness is the same except for the thumb grip area.
          way too big in terms of overall diameter or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Van Westervelt View Post
            Easy way to make it thicker is just rewrap the tech1 and not remove the first layer of leather.

For what its worth, I have had both, and I like the feel of the tech1. I agree it also suits the cars aesthetics better too. Also, they might be the same, but I want to say the tech1 is a little thicker. That might only be because of the ergo grips on the tech 2 have a thinner and thicker section... but I like my small tech 1.
            thanks for the input. I don't really enjoy the ergo grips as much as everyone else does. I had the mtech 2 wheel on my e46 which was similar and the ergo grips were a bother when I was position on my cruising posture. plus they blocked out a section of the cluster... did you run into that with the e30 tech 2?

Comment

I didnt even notice. Nothing OE is as bad as my old Momo wheel that was 350mm and blocked the speedometer in my s50 car, lol.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X