Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cluster Question: Scratches on the Cluster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cluster Question: Scratches on the Cluster.

Does anyone know how to remove them? How to polish that clear plastic part so it looks perfect again? I don't think it's like headlights, but any help appreciated.

It depends on how deep the scratches are. There are various solutions for lighter scratches (polishes mostly - I bought the Novus which is specific for transparent lenses, but it's fairly expensive). There are solutions for deeper scratches but they won't be cost-effective for an E30 cluster.

Comment

mine are all surface. Heard to move a propane torch swiftly over the lens? Is that something to look at?

Comment

I used 3m clear plastic polish and it worked. All depends on your scratches.
        Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
        BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

I did about 3 passes with a microfiber and some Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 2 fine cut cleaner, it looks new.

Comment

I got anal with mine. I had some pretty heavy hazing and a few scratches. I hit it with 1500 grit wet sand paper until it was all clean then used the meguiars plast-x polish. it came out plenty clear. I have access to all 3 novus grits but I don't think i'll even bother, it looks darn near perfect.
            I don't always wreck cars, but when I do I wreck them into trees.

91' 318is S50 swap - The Black Widow

Comment

I'm picking up Meguire's PlastX today based on someone else's recommendation. Picking it up to get rid of some smalls scratches and haziness on my gauge cluster. I'll let you know how it works out.

Comment

PlastX worked well on my cluster. It wasn't too bad but it's as clear as a new car now.
                '89 325i

Comment

thanks everyone. I'll try plastX first, then follow some of the more expensive routs if it fails.

Comment

Aptyp, before and after pics or BAN 8-)

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
                    HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
                    **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

Used Meguire's PlastX today and it looks great! Even cleared up a scratch and some swirls I had on my car cd deck, and it removed the fine scratches/scuffs on the door handles.

Thanks for the recommendation guys :)

Comment

I PlastX'd my cluster this afternoon, looks great!

Before:

After:

Overall, I'm very happy with how it turned out.:D

Comment

If anyone is looking for replacement plastic lenses, I have two of them.

Comment

Pmed.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X