Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any tips on recovering the rear parcel shelf like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any tips on recovering the rear parcel shelf like this?

Hey guys, looking for tips on what material and glue to achieve results like this or very close.

-
    Project
    Parts for Sale
    Feedback
    YouTube Channel

People actually use spray paint to achieve those results.

Duplicolor makes a special paint that is more of a dye and will fuse to the carpet once sprayed. One of the things that have made it on my list that I was too lazy to do yet.

Also works on the floor carpet and headliner.

Comment

Hell no, spray paint on rear deck carpet always looks like ass.

Pull the old material off CAREFULLY making sure you don't peel up too much chardboard, spray glue on both the carpet and the deck itself, and stretch proper automotive interior carpet over it.

My son and I were experimenting with video cameras, here is a quick guide:

Sorry the video is so lame, you can at least get an idea of what to do to make it proper

August R3VLimited Special: E3012 "V3" box: $225 shipped

Tutorials: Killer $500 Stereo | E30 Vert Dual 8'' Box Installation | E3010 Amp Rack Installation | Radio Wiring and Amp Bypass

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
        People actually use spray paint to achieve those results.

Duplicolor makes a special paint that is more of a dye and will fuse to the carpet once sprayed. One of the things that have made it on my list that I was too lazy to do yet.

Also works on the floor carpet and headliner.
        Yep, see below.

Originally posted by German Audio Specialties View Post
        Hell no, spray paint on rear deck carpet always looks like ass.
        I have to disagree Luke. I painted mine and it looks awesome - especially for the price. If you want to make it pop on a budget, this is absolutely the way to go. Two cans of paint were $15 and it took about an hour total not including drying time. The key is to use a stiff bristle brush (like for washing dishes).

What I did was remove the four plastic grilles (those I 303'd), brush and vacuum it several times to prep it, then spray it with the carpet paint. I did a coat of paint, then brushed it, and repeated that process about four times until brushing it no longer had an effect on the way it looked. I also put on a coat of flat clear, but that made it end up looking frosted so I brushed that and hit it one more time with the flat black. The picture does not do it justice.

Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
          I have to disagree Luke.
          I promise that if you spent half as much time reupholstering yours as you did spraying, it would be better. Yes, you obviously did a great job, but compared to how a properly reupholstered deck looks, spray paint is a waste of time.

You display obvious skill. I know you would agree that the reupholstery looks and feels better.

And BTW, you can get a can of glue for about $8 and enough carpet from a normal automotive upholstery supply shop for about $10. The cost difference is minimal, and they can look good enough to be in a winning Concours car. (I did the one in JParkers car, it won 1st and best of show at the BMW CCA Concour last year)

Here is my old one:

Tutorials: Killer $500 Stereo | E30 Vert Dual 8'' Box Installation | E3010 Amp Rack Installation | Radio Wiring and Amp Bypass

Comment

I wasn't aware the carpet was that cheap. I have plenty of the glue I bought for the headliner replacement left over, so I'm good there. It's only a temporary fix until I do the complete interior restoration anyway, so my goal was to simply take it from faded POS to black. Since I'm so over-budget for the exterior restoration the interior probably won't be until this time next year, since building an audio system is going to have to come next. ;)

Comment

Ok guys I should have phrased my question differnetly
              I am not interested in spraying the rear shelf. I'm interested in removing the old carpet and replacing it and Not cutting the holes for rear seat belts or rear speakers.
              I would like to figure out where to purchase black automotive carpeting.
              And what brand and type of glue to purchase

-
              Project
              Parts for Sale
              Feedback
              YouTube Channel

Comment

Sorry for the threadjack :oops:

I used DAP Weldwood contact cement on my headliner; it's basically the same thing as their landau glue - the cement can be painted on while I believe the landau glue has to go through a gun. I can get the part number/UPC off it this weekend if you need it.

Comment

thanks

-
                  Project
                  Parts for Sale
                  Feedback
                  YouTube Channel

Comment

That contact cement makes on hell of a mess if you try to spray it, cobwebs EVERYWHERE like you would not believe possible.

Brush or roller it is just fine, but the spray can stuff works well too.

For carpet I generally use "Ozite" brand, nice and flexible if you get the stuff that is "non-backed". Contours well, accepts glue fairly easy...but I always spray the landau stuff, so I have no clue on roller/brush application.

Comment

Comment

pulled old shit by my self

and re-wrapped from interior shop

Last edited by ngampleh; 03-13-2016, 07:28 PM.
                        [ETA - E30 Adapters] 5 Lug kit with e46m3 front and e46 325/328i rear brake setup
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------
                        [ETA - E30 Adapters] - 5 Lug kit | DTM Shifter | DSSR
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------
                        Transaction Feedback

Comment

Pretty serious thread bump, but I like the results.
                          My Garage
                          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

This is on my list of print projects.

Dustin Wark | Instagram tumblrFlickr

Comment

Has anyone looked into the correct anthracite carpet for the shelf ? Ozite carpet or Superflex ( if they are not one and the same ) seems to be the way to go.
                              Looking at this sample chart , 2078 Special Graphite looks good, or 2070 Graphite.
                              I can't find this carpet in the UK , so want to be sure before possibly ordering from the US. So far no one will ship even a sample card, let alone 2 yards of the carpet.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	yourautotrim-store_2248_112866972__44383.1363342573.1280.1280.jpg?c=2.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	10028606

Comment

Working...
                              X