Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to get houndstooth fabric?

Hi all,

Planning on reupholstering my E30, inserts and seats are 0211 Anthracite, option from 1987. Since my E30 is pretty simple, no sunroof, no power windows and since houndstooh is cool :D I would like to do it like that and not on vinyl or leatherette. My E30 is DS so dark tones will suit fine.

Where can I get the fabric?, what should I expect to pay per yard/meter of fabric (Is $80ish per meter insane or it is what it is?) and how much would I need to reupholster all the seats with all 4 headrests?

Also, what are your thoughts on combining fabric with M tech seat badges? I´ve seen the M tech seat badges on black leather and look alright, not so sure about combining it with fabric, your thoughts?

Thanks,
    e30 diamantschwarz 325i
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyrmanj/

So far the only reference I have found, on Maximillian Importing: http://bmwmobiletradition-onlinecom....42&hg=52&fg=60

CLOTH ANTHRAZIT0 186/0211/0262 09/1985 09/1987 $80.29

Expensive stuff, would 4 meters/yards be enough?
    e30 diamantschwarz 325i

Comment

This is something I've been trying to chase down for awhile. I have blue houndstooth (called Pacific Blue) and have wanted my driver's seat reupholstered for awhile. I asked these guys if they had any, and they said they did not:

Since 1978, World Upholstery and Trim has been Manufacturing and Distributing worldwide car/auto trim parts like seat covers/upholstery, carpets, convertible tops, headliners, door panels, sunvisors, complete soft interior trim and rubber seals/parts for classic European cars. We make parts for cars like Alfa Romeo, Fiat, BMW, Ferrari, Jaguar, Mercedes, Porsche and Saab

You might have better luck though. Let me know what they say. I have also asked Mark at creativeoptions.info. Apparently he can order it in, but he did say it was very expensive. My interior is in great condition, minus my own seat. All I need is the bottom redone, and the side bolster... It makes more sense for me financially to get that done rather than reupholster all the seats with a different material. However, for you, it may be worth to look into some options that Mark has. I know he has access to plenty of stuff. It wouldn't be stock, but it could potentially be a whole lot cheaper than sticking with the stock fabric. I know you can find examples of his work on the other forums.

I take it you have the 'comfort' seats? Have you noticed dark brown wood-shaving type material accumulating on your floor mats from the two front seats? Let me know what you find. I'll be following this thread.

Update: just searching for 'houndstooth upholstery' - finding much much cheaper options. Again though, not stock...
      Last edited by Timp; 07-21-2012, 12:02 AM.
      Newb to all the things.

Comment

^ Thanks for replying,

Today I removed the seat covers and fount out I am basically on the same scenario as you:

My interior is in great condition, minus my own seat. All I need is the bottom redone, and the side bolster...
        ...check it out:
        https://public.sn2.livefilestore.com...55r.jpg?psid=1 (I prefered to add the link and not the pic since don't know how to make it smaller and do not disturb the width of the post...)

Also, I thought I had 0211 Anthracite, however this seems to be 0215 Piniengrün (althought it hardly looks green) from the 1986 options, my E30 was made on 2/87. Is that relly 0215 Piniengrün?

Anyway, I guess I could try my luck and look for a rear set bench in fair condition and use that cloth to reupholster only the driver's seat, since the rest of the seats are in fair condition. Also I will need to reupholster the back headrests which I recently added and are black leather/ette.

If I get new cloth only for the driver's seat the rest will look odd since its old cloth.

I take it you have the 'comfort' seats? Have you noticed dark brown wood-shaving type material accumulating on your floor mats from the two front seats? Let me know what you find.
        I think I have the sport seats and haven't notice that yet...

Thanks so much for the links, I'll have them handy in case I decide or need to find fabrics. Appreciate your thoughts...

P.S.: Link with more pics of the interior: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=cd5a9c6ced823d60#cid=CD5A9C6CED823D60&id=CD5A 9C6CED823D60!585
        Last edited by cyrmanj; 07-21-2012, 10:46 AM.
        e30 diamantschwarz 325i

Comment

After looking into this further, I think the best route is to basically keep an eye out on the listings here and on eBay for a passenger seat (or a drivers seat in really good shape) in the same pattern. From what I understand you can 'convert' a passenger seat into a driver seat by removing the pads among other things and placing them on your driver seat.

E.g., here's a nasty, dirt covered seat for me: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E30-318i...ht_1928wt_1049
          Newb to all the things.

Comment

Houndstooth fabric

Woolen Houndstooth is made with alternating bands of four dark and four light threads in both warp and weft woven in a simple 2:2 twill, two over - two under the warp, advancing one thread each pass. It can be used in constructing clothes like womens dress, Jackets, Skirts and home furnishing items.

Kochar Woolen Mills supply woolen Houndstooth fabric to all leading apparel exporters and garment manufacturers in India. Also we do sell to all leading wholesaler and retailers throughout India at wholesale price and Quantity.

Have a look on it

kochartex.com

Comment

Originally posted by cyrmanj View Post
              ^ Thanks for replying,

Today I removed the seat covers and fount out I am basically on the same scenario as you:

...check it out:
              https://public.sn2.livefilestore.com...55r.jpg?psid=1 (I prefered to add the link and not the pic since don't know how to make it smaller and do not disturb the width of the post...)

Also, I thought I had 0211 Anthracite, however this seems to be 0215 Piniengrün (althought it hardly looks green) from the 1986 options, my E30 was made on 2/87. Is that relly 0215 Piniengrün?

Anyway, I guess I could try my luck and look for a rear set bench in fair condition and use that cloth to reupholster only the driver's seat, since the rest of the seats are in fair condition. Also I will need to reupholster the back headrests which I recently added and are black leather/ette.

If I get new cloth only for the driver's seat the rest will look odd since its old cloth.

I think I have the sport seats and haven't notice that yet...

Thanks so much for the links, I'll have them handy in case I decide or need to find fabrics. Appreciate your thoughts...

P.S.: Link with more pics of the interior: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=cd5a9c6ced823d60#cid=CD5A9C6CED823D60&id=CD5A 9C6CED823D60!585
              I can get this tan/brown houndstooth. I'm not at the point where I could me a seat cover yet (still learning the trade) but I would be happy to sell you the fabric. It's automotive grade, same as OE. I'll post a pic in a few when I go home for lunchbreak.

Edit: pic
              - Josh
              1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
              Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

You can't by chance find pacific blue like mine can you?
                Newb to all the things.

Comment

Originally posted by Timp View Post
                  You can't by chance find pacific blue like mine can you?
                  Dunno, the supplier I'm working with has a ridiculous amount of hounds. Can you link to a closeup pic that shows the color well?
                  - Josh
                  1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

i used the same material on a buddys sport seats i did. only in the blue behind the tan swatch you have there.

Last edited by EthirtyIS; 12-08-2012, 07:49 AM. Reason: Just figured out how to use the new photo-bucket..
                    Proud Owner and Operator.
                    sigpic

Comment

Those look awesome!
                      - Josh
                      1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Thanks, just starting to do auto trim work on the side..
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EthirtyIS View Post
                          Thanks, just starting to do auto trim work on the side..

i will need your services soon if i can source the OEM houndstooth as well to match my door cards. can't get more local than me ;-)
                          www.instagram.com/snwmble
                          #snwmble

Current:
                          '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                          '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                          '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                          '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                          '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                          '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                          '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                          '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Well you could live on the south shore that would be more local,hahaha... Let me know if you want to stop by and check some of em out...
                            sigpic

Comment

cloth

hi, ive got a fair amount, ,,;D
                              who needs any good OEM E30 fabric ?

Comment

Working...
                              X