How to remove a steering wheel without a key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove a steering wheel without a key

So I'm trying to pull some stalks off a car in a junkyard but need to remove the wheel in order to do so. Or at least I think I do.. Really am trying to get the cruise stalk. Any ideas? Keep in mind destruction is an option. These are crusher bound cars.
    Current: Brilliantrot '91 318is M20B25
    Former: '88 M3 3.2L, '91 318is 2.0L, '90 318i, '85 325e 2.8L, '84 318i 2.0L, '84 318i, '90 325is
    wamchenry@gmail.com
    insta: @simple_machines

that is pretty tough to do. the steering wheel lock makes it really hard to get the wheel off, about the best you can hope for is to take off the big nut that holds the wheel in place and pry the shit out of it. you will break the plastic that shrouds the column. it is about the best you can hope for.

i have been able to remove the plastic column shroud and get in to the side of the cruise stalk screws with a pair of needle nose vise grips. you may try that too.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Check this out, I have used this method before.

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111073
      Feedback
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=270560

Comment

when I removed an mtech1 wheel off a junkyard car, I took a big ass pry bar, a nice large hammer, and a chisel and went to town on the ignition. It took me about 10 minutes in the blistering heat but it finally popped off and let me remove the wheel.

basically just need some brute strength and determination
        320I - under construction

Comment

Y'all some destructive ass mofuggaz. That's all well and good on a junkyard car when all you want is the wheel, but there is a more elegant method if you want to do it without completely destroying anything (if you ever have to do it on your own car for say, a busted ignition lock). I can't take credit for coming up with it, but the guy who did isn't on teh forums so I'll pass it along.

I don't have pictures of every step, but it's easy enough to figure out without them.

You cut a flap in the steering wheel at the 12:00 position, pry it back and drill a 3/16" hole directly above the locking pin (roughly 12mm back from the steering column surround).

Use a straight pick, drill bit, whatever works to depress the lock pin (yes, it will push down even when "locked") and pull the steering wheel off.

A little super glue on the flap and there will be barely any evidence that you were there. One tip is if it's at all possible to turn the steering wheel, turn it upside down before you start, that way the flap will be at 6:00 while driving and even less noticeable.

'84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
          '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

pull the whole column and take it home for removal later.

Comment

A big FUCK YEAH! to kway! So simple and elegant!
              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

1) remove the big bolt
                2)take a hack saw and work it in the space between the wheel and the black plastic shroud. just keep cutting until the wheel pulls off. the blade will eventually depress the locking lever so the wheel slides off easily.

i've done this quite a few times at the yard and its always worked for me.
                sigpic
                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                  1) remove the big bolt
                  2)take a hack saw and work it in the space between the wheel and the black plastic shroud. just keep cutting until the wheel pulls off. the blade will eventually depress the locking lever so the wheel slides off easily.

Me too. +1
                  Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                  The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

i always break the ignition to the point i can turn it with a screw driver.
                    harry/harout

Comment

Also help to keep some shaved keys with you. I was amazed at how many ignitions turned with a simple worn down e30 key.
                      harry/harout

Comment

Thanks. I'll bring a hacksaw and a drill! I appreciate the input.
                        Former: '88 M3 3.2L, '91 318is 2.0L, '90 318i, '85 325e 2.8L, '84 318i 2.0L, '84 318i, '90 325is
                        wamchenry@gmail.com

Comment

I have stalk of an airbaged car! Pay shipping and its yours!

One of the best threads you will ever read
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=221813

Nice trailer of my e30
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTjtG...e_gdata_player

If i sold you something please leave feedback here
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=217142

Comment

I used the drilling method with great success on two cars this weekend. Top tip.
                            wamchenry@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                              1) remove the big bolt

+1, done this 3-4 times. Ruins the steering column but gets the wheel off.

Comment

Working...
                              X