X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Should I do with my interior?

I got an estimate to get my front & rear seats redone by a shop for $1100

or

I can buy already reupholstered seats off ebay for $1200 ish or I can buy the covers off ebay and try it myself which I don't have a lot of faith I can do it and it will come out good.

I am torn about the rear seat too because I want one with head rests & a ski pass but I have not found any
    1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
    2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
    2011 BMW X5 35I

I vote shop. Let someone who does this for a living do it; they probably have the skills if they're still in business.

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

One of my family members does upholstery for a living, there's tricks to making the material fit tightly and there's a finesse to working the materials.
      yes, anyone can sew and make seat covers look good but, when installation comes into play, noone does like a pro.
      @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

I've heard bad things about the ebay seats!

Get the shop to do it...you can check up on the progress and talk to someone in person. Always best. And if somethings wrong, you can deal it out in person.

My opinion

1987 325 | @e30_hunter |

Comment

Let a shop do it.That way if they mess something up you can deal with them directly. It also gives you the chance to put your own style into the new seat design.
          I'm cooler in person.

Comment

Take it to a shop for sure. When dealing with an experienced auto trim shop they will be able to do just about anything you'd want. You get to see and touch everything before it goes on your car, so you know you're happy with the look/feel before they begin.

They will also be able to repair any broken items found during the process.

As someone learning the trade, there's a ton to consider when undertaking an interior refresh. Let the pros help you.
            - Josh
            1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
            Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Or you could find new seats for sale, prolly a lot cheaper...I swapped my entire interior with Cloth Recaros from the Jetta GLI MK2 and all in with seat brackets (that you could make yourself) you could be looking at around $600

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM
              Gewerkschaft der Polizei Sticker/Clings For Sale $8

Comment

I went with leatherseats.com off ebay kit for my MT2 project and was pretty impressed. I put them on myself with no problems. It just took a little time and no special tools. It looks a bit scary when tackling it but just take your time and have the personal reward for doing it yourself...and cheaper! :up:

After...and before!

COTM

Comment

As Iron-E said...If you took N2MYE30's kit and had a pro do the installtion, you would have a near-OEM looking job! This is not a bash on N2MYE30's handi-work, but merely a comment on the fact that professional upholstery guys know how to massage and steam the wrinkles out of seams and curves. Stuff like that is what sets apart a novice job from a pro.

Comment

^^^these were only on for a few hours. Once the heat got to them a worked in, they improved. If one was to really nitpick, they will never look oem as I have stated my other threads about these leathers. For the price, these are great.

COTM

Comment

leatherseats.com's E30 red covers look way to bright to be cardinal :(

Comment

how much are the ebay kits?

Comment

Honestly i would go with new seats or a kit because any shop that would only charge 1k for front and backs seats is most likely going to do shit work
                          ----- www.jjcustominterior.com -----
                          We specialize in Recaro restoration!

Comment

That price is not for leather that is for high quality vinyl
                            1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
                            2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
                            2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

even with vinyl that is too cheap imo... thats roughly what we would charge just to do a set of fronts. I would be willing to bet they would not look as good as the kit posted above which imo actually turned out fantastic for a kit. Kits like that from larger companies tend to be fairly poor, i was very impressed when i saw that picture.
                              ----- www.jjcustominterior.com -----
                              We specialize in Recaro restoration!

Comment

Working...
                              X