Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you guys install your shift boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you guys install your shift boots?

Hey just curious how you guys installed your aftermarket shift boots and ebrake boots. I used hot glue for mine and I'm not really happy with it.

Contact cement. You can use regular rubber cement but it will degrade over time. Not a big deal on a shift boot as the bezel keeps it in place, but to be correct and have a long lasting bond, you need something that's able to handle high heat. Most trim shops use DAP Weldwood HHR.

With rubber cement you want to paint the frame, apply the boot, and clamp it while wet. If you're using the Weldwood HHR you can paint each half and let it dry, then stick them together for an instant permanent bond.

Alternatively, you can ship your stuff to me and I'll mount them up for you on the cheap.
    - Josh
    1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
    Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Originally posted by Cletonius View Post
      Contact cement. You can use regular rubber cement but it will degrade over time. Not a big deal on a shift boot as the bezel keeps it in place, but to be correct and have a long lasting bond, you need something that's able to handle high heat. Most trim shops use DAP Weldwood HHR.

With rubber cement you want to paint the frame, apply the boot, and clamp it while wet. If you're using the Weldwood HHR you can paint each half and let it dry, then stick them together for an instant permanent bond.

Alternatively, you can ship your stuff to me and I'll mount them up for you on the cheap.
      Ah good stuff thanks man I'll definitely do that.

Comment

I did exactly what Josh advised, although I reinforced with some gel super glue at the corners just in case.
        Current_SeeDee 1972 e10 Luna 1975 e10
        Past___Veronica 1994 e36 Le-Ah 1987 e30

Comment

I just used a hot glue gun and it's been holding for a year and a half now...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Working...
          X