Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to Carpet?

Hi Guys,

I just bought an '85 318i in pretty good shape. I'm not planning to restore it, but make it more of a weekend track car. It won't be daily driven.

I've already gutted the interior completely. I bought 5 yards of black lightweight carpet to install as a replacement, but since its not injected molded it doesn't fit right..i don't like it.

I was thinking of using roll on bed liner paint on the interior floorboard and the E30 rear seat delete with the lightweight carpet. What are your thoughts? Any better suggestions?

Thanks,
    Nick

3M spray and the thin carpet. done
    -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
    -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
    MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
    Got Drop?? ;-)
    Originally posted by JinormusJ
    But of course
    E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Astroturf
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Bedliner on the ds/ps floorboards and leave the rest naked.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
          Bedliner on the ds/ps floorboards and leave the rest naked.
          my friend did this and the smell never goes away just my 2cents.

Comment

Originally posted by CHIF8008 View Post
            3M spray and the thin carpet. done
            What kind of thin carpet? I tried that but it doesn't go around bends easily. The only way would be to cut it near the footwells and towards the back and then glue the pieces of carpet together as close as possible. I prefer not to have seams unless I'm doing it wrong.

Anyone have a link?

Comment

Originally posted by porkchopz07 View Post
              Hi Guys,

I just bought an '85 318i in pretty good shape. I'm not planning to restore it, but make it more of a weekend track car. It won't be daily driven.

I bought 5 yards of black lightweight carpet to install as a replacement
              Track car? Carpet? Why?

Ear plugs are like a dollar.
              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Track cars are supposed to be loud and uncomfortable. Why bother?

Comment

Flock it? Wont really help with noise but its durable and looks nice. And very lightweight

Comment

If it's a track car, I vote leave it bare. Put some skateboard tape under the pedals and on the floor where you'll be putting your feet.
                    1991 318i SOLD
                    2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by travish325 View Post
                      Flock it? Wont really help with noise but its durable and looks nice. And very lightweight
                      Yeah no. Flock isn't that durable, it's light and pliable but the footwells would wear out exceptionally quick. I also believe that the glue being thick in nature would add to the weight very quickly.
                      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

I'd go bed liner. I've seen several guys do this as rust prevention, spraying it on before they lay the carpet in.

Another option might be carpet from stockinteriors.com. Their carpet doesn't come with a foam backing, so it would be lighter weight compared to stock.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

I think I'm going to go with roll on bed liner and go with the E30 rear seat delete DIY.

Now its just finding the time!

Comment

Post up picks when you are done. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Comment

Keep in mind it'll never come off.
                              1991 318i SOLD
                              2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X