Relocating switches!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relocating switches!

I have a late model 4 door that originally had heated cloth comforts that I swapped for vinyl sports. I'm about to install a set of clean, heated black leather seats and I can't decide what to do with the switches cause my rear console has a pair of cupholders molded in. Help me decide! The wiring mods are not an issue, I will do a clean solder and heatshrink'd extension of the wiring, plus tucking them into factory harness and wrapping it all. Also this is a daily driver, not a racecar. I'm keeping the cupholders.

1: relocate front window breaker to dash using an early model breaker. Hide rear lockout somewhere (who actually uses this?). Install the seat heater switches in place of them just above the window switches.

2: place the switches side by side in rear console, just infront of the cupholders. I think they'll fit like this, but the plastic might be a touch thin between them as they'll be very close together. They dont fit end to end, the picture is deceiving

My interior for reference
    Last edited by Varinn; 01-15-2013, 01:31 AM.
    1990 332i, 4 door
    2008 KTM 990 Superduke
    2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
    2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
    2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

I would either install the sideways, one in front of the other, in the rear console or see if they fit in the 2 blank spots above the radio. I put my window swiches there (above the radio) on my track car since I eliminated both consoles. I did have to trim the switch bezels to make them fit.

Comment

I've been thinking about this too, but I was planning on putting them side by side at the front of the rear console. You could also put them on the sides of the front console if you want them easily accessable, but out of the way.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I delete the window lock. Useless button unless u have kids. One less switch just loop & tuck

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
        DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

could move the window locks onto the side of the forward center console, then use the two original lock positions for the heated seats.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Just did the relocation to mine , I really want my iPhone in the back of the switches, I'm very used to it being there so put them side by side and it turned out they fit perfectly.
            Attached Files
            sigpic
            1990 318is M-technik2

Comment

Hey thanks for that pic, I may end up doing it that way
              1990 332i, 4 door
              2008 KTM 990 Superduke
              2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
              2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
              2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

You're welcome , I'll be putting the consoles back in the car tomorrow, i'll let you know if I run into any problems, but I don't so, the clearance is the same in that place too.
                sigpic
                1990 318is M-technik2

Comment

Working...
                X