Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sport seats restoration (Before & after)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leatherique website is a prime example of web design gone bad, but this is where you order the stuff. If you poke around on their site long enough, you can find tutorials and factory color codes.

http://www.leatherique.com/products.html

They have kits about 3/4 of the way down the page.
    R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
    └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

i wonder if there is a fix for the distorted piping around the upholstery?

Comment

Wow, incredible results!

Comment

Did you just use the standard black or did you do a custom color?

Comment

Originally posted by Aleman View Post
            Are you suggesting to NOT sand-off the old dye before applying the new dye? Maybe just remove the loose stuff with a stiff brush, then re-dye?
            My suggestion is not to put too much crack filler, and do more coats for side bolster.

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
            i wonder if there is a fix for the distorted piping around the upholstery?
            I've looked it up but it's not worth the trouble. it means you have to un-stitch the whole section, and put a new piping..

Originally posted by bubbajan21 View Post
            Did you just use the standard black or did you do a custom color?
            I did the standard black. Colour matches perfectly.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm about to place an order here real soon for a kit. I'm really excited to give it a try. I applied some lexol to my seats and they stripped the dye and exaggerated the wear on my bolsters. Now it has a suede sort of feeling to it. Feels smooth when you rub it one way, but like scales when you rub it in the opposite direction. Im thinking the seats were treated some time in the past and the lexol reversed it. Did you have any of that suede feeling in your seats before you treated them?
              -Pierre
              1987 535is
              1988 325is

Comment

Originally posted by e30nub View Post
                I'm about to place an order here real soon for a kit. I'm really excited to give it a try. I applied some lexol to my seats and they stripped the dye and exaggerated the wear on my bolsters. Now it has a suede sort of feeling to it. Feels smooth when you rub it one way, but like scales when you rub it in the opposite direction. Im thinking the seats were treated some time in the past and the lexol reversed it. Did you have any of that suede feeling in your seats before you treated them?
                i had a couple sections of suede like wear prior to me filling it in w/ crack filler. I'm not that familiar with the Leatherique filler, but the Leather World Tech kit i used leaves a thin skim coat over any area your working over, creating a layer over the existing leather that is pliable and can flex. It has a real feel of soft leather once dry. Maybe the OP can chime in to how the Leatherique stuff works. I'm curious to know if the filler acts in the same fashion.
                www.instagram.com/snwmble
                #snwmble

Current:
                '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

damn man you're inspiring me..

I've got some dye/refinisher and was planning on using some faux black leather to fill a seat and bolster crack, sew/glue it in there, then lightly sand and re-dye the seats, but that crack filler you used makes it look basically new.

strong work.

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
                    i had a couple sections of suede like wear prior to me filling it in w/ crack filler. I'm not that familiar with the Leatherique filler, but the Leather World Tech kit i used leaves a thin skim coat over any area your working over, creating a layer over the existing leather that is pliable and can flex. It has a real feel of soft leather once dry. Maybe the OP can chime in to how the Leatherique stuff works. I'm curious to know if the filler acts in the same fashion.
                    Really appreciate your response. I'm hoping the leatherique stuff will hold up. It's pretty well tested and used throughout the community (or so it seems) and I might just take the plunge in that direction. Where did you pick up the Leather World Tech kit from?
                    -Pierre
                    1987 535is
                    1988 325is

Comment

Wow man, nice job. I've always loved my vinyl seats because they don't crack and look pristine as opposed to leather, but this almost persuades me to buy some leather sports because I can see what they could look like after a little TLC.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aleman View Post
                        Are you suggesting to NOT sand-off the old dye before applying the new dye? Maybe just remove the loose stuff with a stiff brush, then re-dye?
                        I would recommend to remove the old dye just enough with prepping agent and sandpaper so that you'll have clean, matte surface. and most important thing is not to put excessive amount of crack filler. Make sure to thin the dye with water and pour it on a bowl or plastic container so that you can stir it with stick or brush(to avoid air bubbles), and apply it multiple times.
                        sigpic

Comment

Do you have a link for the products?
                          1987 325e Commuter Project Blog

1967 1600 Project Blog: www.TX02.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                            Do you have a link for the products?
                            I got it from Canadian store. You'll get better deals other places since you guys are in US
                            sigpic

Comment

Looks really good! I'm thinking about using this same kit on my blue interior. my seats are in about the same condition

Comment

resurrection. well done!
                                98 M3/4/5

Comment

Working...
                                X