Dashboard: New Style vs. Old Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dashboard: New Style vs. Old Style

Just wanted to offer some basic info and pictures on the newer BMW e30 style dashboard versus the original dash. Ive had a lot of requests about differences since I mentioned I picked one up in a FS ad.
    Here's a link to another thread that briefly discusses the newer style dash with a higher res picture: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=54498

Impressions on the dashes side-by-side:
    The new dash has a sticker stating it was made in South Africa, from BMW however. Its made of the material that newer BMWs use for the dash, like whats in an e39. The material is much firmer, with a robust, rubbery feel to it. It looks nice and black, and has an insulation liner on the inside (same material used in the sound deadening insulation behind the rear seat of your e30). Due to the texture and material used, it has more of a matte finish, so it doesn't reflect light like the original dash does when all shined up. Good if reflection from the sun has been a problem, bad if you like a super shiny dash. What I like most is the better resistance it has to cracking in the sun. Also, the material seems much less likely to flex and warp over time, so no gaps around the vents or the HVAC panel. The texture might be a concern to some, it is slightly different up close and might not be a 100% match to the consoles or glove box. To me, its so subtle it won't be obvios when everything is installed, and because the dash and other panels are in different planes and different light. The new style seems to vary in price, listed at $550 in the ^thread in 2005, but Ive seen them on realOEM (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...06&hg=51&fg=30) and other online vendors for $800-1250.

Pictures of dashes side-by-side:
    New style on top:

new style on left:

Original:

New Style:

Ill publish photos of the differences installed once I finish getting the new dash in this weekend.

Hope this offers some insight in to those who asked, and to anyone else thinking of getting the replacement dash new.

-Ryan
    Last edited by RCM3; 06-07-2013, 12:27 AM.
    -Ryan
    05/87 Henna M3
    04/71 Baikal 2002tii

Old style:

New style:

Old Style:

New Style:

Shows the difference in color and texture between the new dash and console:

Very, very happy overall. I treated the console pieces and glove box today and they darkened up to the same color as the dash. Not sure if the sound deadening would make it quieter than the original dash (my exhaust makes it hard to tell if engine noise is reduced). The fitment was slightly better than the original dash in the car. Judging this based on the gaps around the dash and the A-pillar, and the gaps around the vents and A/C panel. The biggest change for me is in the luster of this new material, you can see this in the pictures with the old dash reflecting lots of light when I snapped the photos.
    (If you noticed the gap above my steering column in one of the photos its because I lowered the steering wheel position while I had the dash out...)
    Last edited by RCM3; 06-08-2013, 05:24 PM.
    -Ryan
    05/87 Henna M3
    04/71 Baikal 2002tii

Comment

Cool thanks for doing this comparison!

I looked at the pics for a while (before reading your post) and I couldn't see the differences. But now that you point them out I can see the what you're saying about texture and shininess.

Does anyone know if the still make new center consoles and whether they're made of the new material as well?
      Last edited by defaultName; 06-10-2013, 07:34 AM.
      sigpic

Buy and sell your E30s and E30 parts on E30 Marketplace!

Comment

Thanks for the photos.
        Click here to leave me feedback on our transactions. :p

Comment

Nice! Thanks for the comparison. I too can hardly tell the difference but I'm sure it would be more obvious if I'm looking at it with my own two eyes.

Comment

If you know e30's the difference jumps out at you. You will notice it immediately when you see it in person. The new material is awesome and should last a long long time but my only peeve is it gets dusty and doesn't match the rest of the interior. Only m3's had the insulation afaik. I am guessing these new dashes all come with it? I like how durable it is and how it stays flat over the vents.
            Last edited by reelizmpro; 06-07-2013, 12:58 PM.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Do like.
              1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
              You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Pics added in post #2.
                -Ryan
                05/87 Henna M3
                04/71 Baikal 2002tii

Comment

I snagged a new dash myself several months ago. Haven't installed it yet, but I love the new texture of it. I ended up buying new center consoles to match. They are the same texture and look as the new dash as well for those wondering. And really not that expensive considering how much the dash cost. The shifter console was about $150 and the ebrake console was somewhere around $40.
                  E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

I'm curious to find out what year E30s did the new dash start coming in. I have a 1991 325i that I bought June of 2012 and the dash was/is flawless. I'll have to check out the finish of it when I get home to find out if it has the old or new dash in it.

I love threads like this, very helpful.

Thank you!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
                    sigpic
                    Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Poorboyz View Post
                      I'm curious to find out what year E30s did the new dash start coming in. I have a 1991 325i that I bought June of 2012 and the dash was/is flawless. I'll have to check out the finish of it when I get home to find out if it has the old or new dash in it.
                      All E30's left the factory with the same dash, and they were all made of the same material.

You can buy a brand new replacement dash for your E30 from BMW, but it will be made of a new material which is different from what E30's originally came with.

At some point BMW started using the new material (which is the same as newer BMW's) probably because it was cheaper and easier, or they ran out of the old stuff.

Hope that makes sense!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by defaultName View Post
                        Does anyone know if the still make new center consoles and whether they're made of the new material as well?
                        Originally posted by bimma360 View Post
                        I ended up buying new center consoles to match. They are the same texture and look as the new dash as well for those wondering.
                        Good to know!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by defaultName View Post
                          All E30's left the factory with the same dash, and they were all made of the same material.

You can buy a brand new replacement dash for your E30 from BMW, but it will be made of a new material which is different from what E30's originally came with.

At some point BMW started using the new material (which is the same as newer BMW's) probably because it was cheaper and easier, or they ran out of the old stuff.

Hope that makes sense!
                          Also because the newer materials seem to be a lot less prone to cracking.
                          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bimma360 View Post
                            I snagged a new dash myself several months ago. Haven't installed it yet, but I love the new texture of it. I ended up buying new center consoles to match. They are the same texture and look as the new dash as well for those wondering. And really not that expensive considering how much the dash cost. The shifter console was about $150 and the ebrake console was somewhere around $40.
                            do you know if the ebrake console, knee bolster, and glove box trims, are in the new texture as well?

Comment

I know the non airbag kick panel is a different texture. I bought one a couple years back.
                              1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                              You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Working...
                              X