Steering Wheel Wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Wheel Wrap

So, this is my first post after being a lurk for some time.

I thought I would begin by sharing my experience doing a steering wheel wrap. I have no prior experience with sewing, especially not to the scale of this application. I recommend doing a cloth template first to assure yourself of proper fitment as I ended up having too little leather to wrap around at times.

My old wheel condition.

On to it then, I began by calling a local distributor who led me to a repairwoman who used to work for them. Accordingly, she had done hundreds of wraps and had all the equipment I would need. I chose to use a soft calf skin pebbled black leather and she came to the car and measured, threw in a bit of extra and I was good to go.

What I used:
    1: Black Calf Skin
    2. Hobby Knife
    3: 22mm Socket and Drive
    4: Two Darning Needles
    5: Pick
    6: Waxed Thread also Black

I began with removing the steering wheel. This is simple and explained in other parts of the Forum. **Just Make Sure to Mark the Splineshaft so the Wheel is Center When You Replace it.**

Secondly, I brought the wheel inside and began removing the old wrap. Careful here and go slow as you want to preserve the old leather for a template. Use the hobby knife to cut the threads slowly and peel the cover away, in this instance, it was one piece.

After removing the cover, I noticed that I would need to make mine from two pieces as my hide was not long enough to support one. Measure and cut the original cover into two equal pieces, or however you want the design, I personally like the seam in the center.

Next, lay the old pieces over your new hide and draw the outline, leave enough excess to properly adjust for the decayed shrunken old wrap. Be careful to not use the same piece twice as you will have two of the same side. If this happens anyway, then just cut the tabs off and save them for later.

Both Pieces

Now you will want to put your pieces together and sew the ends, creating a ring of leather. Begin just as you were tying a shoe, use two needles and go one over the other, as this keeps the pieces tight together. Use about twice the length you are swing in waxed thread. Tie your knot the end and repeat until you have a full ring of leather.

Next, take your ring of leather and place it on something soft (I used one of the fiance's bridal magazines.) and use your pick and a hammer to poke stitching holes in the leather about every 1/4 inch or so. Remember which sides will be seamed and make sure to dot each of them.

Now you will center this ring on the bare steering wheel, making sure that it is all nice and tight and has a good stretch around the wheel. Use zipties to hold the new wrap centered over the wheel.

I then began stitching it across, go one needle at a time, SLOWLY. If you pull too hard, then you will tear your leather. Tighten each stitch down as you make it and continue, making sure the leather stays tight and even all around, again knot the end. Here, I recommend using smaller needles with a smaller eye so they go through the leather quicker and the thread does not fall out of the eye after each stitch.

Basically that's the extent of it. My wrap, with no experience, took 4.5 hours and still is not as good as I would prefer, but I learned quite a bit from the experience and the next one will be much better.

Derek-

Welcome to the forum. Nice first post. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Well done:thumbup:
      sigpic

Comment

Very helpfull 1st post.

Comment

Nice work. And thanks for confirming that I will be paying someone else to do this or getting another wheel :)
          1991 e31 - Black on Black, 5.0L/6 Speed. Sold
          1990 e30 Cabriolet, 2.5L/auto. Sold
          1999 e39 Touring, 2.8L/auto. Sold
          1988 e30 Cabriolet, 2.5L/5 Speed. Going for retro modern convenience driver.

Comment

Not a bad job! Dip it in water and leave it in the sun to dry, it'll tighten up some.

I'm working on my second wheel wrap now. They take a ridiculous amount of time.

Edit: I would caution against templating with any material other than the final cover itself. Each leather hide is different and has its own stretch. Nothing else will be able to move/bend the same way as the leather will. I had this problem with my first one and got some lessons from a veteran (40+ years in the trade) who showed me how it works. It's a little nerve wracking to cut up a big piece and chalk it up, but doing it this way has helped me greatly. You can also save time by passing the materials through a sewing machine without any thread to poke all the holes.
            Last edited by Cletonius; 07-10-2013, 07:50 AM.
            - Josh
            1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
            Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Great tips Cletonius! Thanks so much for sharing and helping out other DIY'ers.

Comment

Originally posted by dogsbark26 View Post
                Great tips Cletonius! Thanks so much for sharing and helping out other DIY'ers.
                You're welcome. There really is an art to it. The craftsmanship that goes into wrapped items is huge. Materials cost is low but it takes HOURS.
                - Josh
                1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

thats really good for a first try, like josh said, you can only template with the material youre using. another thing i do on my wheels is use glue to hold the material down to the wheel. the reason being, after some use the leather will wear down and start to slip and spin on the wheel. i use an upholstery grade contact cement.
                  good luck on the next one.
                  Proud Owner and Operator.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the responses, I think I will try the sun technique, seeing as we have plenty of it down here I'm Florida. It needs to shrink a bit, and now is the perfect time since my brother so kindly ran my e30 into a curb. That being said, anyone have any e36 motor mount arms they want to part with?��
                    Derek-

Comment

Great job man !!!!!
                      -His-
                      87 e30 325i
                      87 e24 m6
                      05 e83 x3
                      94 e32 740i 5spd
                      -Hers-
                      89 e30 325i
                      18 f48 x1

Comment

Great post! Wondering if you can give us the information to the lady that you used. I'm in Charleston SC and finding any type of leather to wrap my mtech1 has been a mission.
                        R/S
                        Jose

1986 325es and dam proud it!

Comment

Originally posted by e30Marine View Post
                          Great post! Wondering if you can give us the information to the lady that you used. I'm in Charleston SC and finding any type of leather to wrap my mtech1 has been a mission.
                          Any upholstery leather will work. Shoot me a PM with the dimensions you're looking for. I can cut you a strip.
                          - Josh
                          1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Another option is to sew a line of stiches all the way around each edge of the leather, then string a third piece of thread through the stitches to pull it up tight. If you do it this way, make sure the tension is all the way up on your sewing machine or else when you lace it together, the two rows of stitches will pull over really far.

Like this:

You can do M// sticking this way because there are 3 threads. This is how the factory did it actually.

Here is an example of this stitch I did:

Also, wetting the leather helps a lot, but be careful about putting it out in the sun. Heat is bad for leather and you can do a lot of damage. Letting it dry at room temperature works fine. I also used a spray bottle to wet the leather as I went, rather than soaking it before hand. You really don't need much, just enough to help the leather stretch a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                              Another option is to sew a line of stiches all the way around each edge of the leather, then string a third piece of thread through the stitches to pull it up tight. If you do it this way, make sure the tension is all the way up on your sewing machine or else when you lace it together, the two rows of stitches will pull over really far.

Like this:

You can do M// sticking this way because there are 3 threads. This is how the factory did it actually.

Here is an example of this stitch I did:

Also, wetting the leather helps a lot, but be careful about putting it out in the sun. Heat is bad for leather and you can do a lot of damage. Letting it dry at room temperature works fine. I also used a spray bottle to wet the leather as I went, rather than soaking it before hand. You really don't need much, just enough to help the leather stretch a bit.

That is a really great idea, and since I read it, I can't shake it, now I will have to pull it all back apart and do it this way. Stand by, I will update.
                              Derek-

Comment

Working...
                              X