Adhesive for carpet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adhesive for carpet?

So I am about to put in an OEM carpet into my car with the foam on the back and everything still. What should I use for adhesive? The 3m spray trim adhesive? Or do I just throw it in?

Sorry, noob here

Thanks!
    Elliott

The OEM carpet does not need an adhesive. The weight (~40 lbs) and stiffness of the foam hold it in place.

Comment

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
      The OEM carpet does not need an adhesive. The weight (~40 lbs) and stiffness of the foam hold it in place.
      Just what I wanted to hear! Thanks

Comment

FYI: that 3M adhesive will peel also. I wouldn't use anything 3M to glue anything important in your car.
        - Josh
        1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
        Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

3M 90 wont peel if you use it right, don't mean to call you out or anything. but for a oem carpet no adhesive is necessary.
          and the proper way to use adhesive spray is to spray both surfaces, give them at leats 1-2 minutes to dry then spray both surfaces again, wait 30 or so seconds untill it gets tacky, then mate them. slight pressure for about 1-2 minutes. and thats the best adhesion you can get for an at home use.
          i actually use 3M 90 at work when i dont want to take a big item over to the spray gun.
          Proud Owner and Operator.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EthirtyIS View Post
            3M 90 wont peel if you use it right, don't mean to call you out or anything. but for a oem carpet no adhesive is necessary.
            and the proper way to use adhesive spray is to spray both surfaces, give them at leats 1-2 minutes to dry then spray both surfaces again, wait 30 or so seconds untill it gets tacky, then mate them. slight pressure for about 1-2 minutes. and thats the best adhesion you can get for an at home use.
            i actually use 3M 90 at work when i dont want to take a big item over to the spray gun.
            Wow, I'm surprised to hear that. I used to use it when I built sub boxes and they always peeled after a year or so. With the sprayed contact cement I've never had anything peel. I'm trying a new aerosol now that seems to have promise.

Agreed on no adhesive needed for molded carpet.
            - Josh
            1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Originally posted by EthirtyIS View Post
              I agree with this as well. I've had material separate before glue separates.

Comment

Damn, what am I doing wrong to have 3M 90 peel on me? I was gluing carpet to wood.
                - Josh
                1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Follow that procedure, and let me know how it comes out. Just try it on some scrap
                  Proud Owner and Operator.
                  sigpic

Comment

If you were gluing to MDF, make sure the surface is clean. MDF can hold a lot of dust in it's pores.

Comment

Working...
                    X