Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sport seat base frame busted - Is this common?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sport seat base frame busted - Is this common?

Hey r3v,

There was clearly something wrong with my driver seat so I took it apart to see if I could find the problem. Unfortunately, I found that the base of the seat was broken. Basically the side frame rails that the seat cushion and bolsters attach to and run front to back are broken cleanly in half.

I'm wondering if this is a normal issue with the e30 sport seats? If so, short replacing them with aftermarket seats, is there anything that can be done to make the seat frames stronger?

Thanks

This happened to my drivers seat, but I think it's a simple age/fatigue issue, rather than an inherent flaw in the seat. I replaced the seat a year ago with another (used) sport seat, no trouble so far. I was surprised at how clean the brake was though, wondering if there was a weld or something there that went.
    '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
    '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
    '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

I do believe I have a good drivers side sport seat frame. PM me with a zip if you are interested
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I think this is pretty common most just weld the frame back in place.
        1988 BMW 325iS

Comment

I have not had a chance to pull the cushion off the frame yet. Will do that this weekend but the metal seems pretty thin, hard to imagine welding back together.

Comment

I got a new seat base today and stripped it down to the bare metal. I thought it was a solid frame when I got it but uncovering it revealed several cracks and one fatal issue... will be returning it tomorrow :-(

But looking at the frame seems like there are some very fundamental flaws with the whole design of the seat. Unless you can reinforce the frame, it seems like there is no way to keep it from breaking eventually.

Comment

When I repaired one, I used a plate to reinforce the crack. That particular seat was sooo warped and out of sorts that it would hurt my back pretty bad on long trips.

Comment

Do you have any pictures of your repair? I'm curious how you did it. I don't weld but was going to see if I could have the frame repaired or maybe reinforce a frame that isn't broken. After seeing what can happen I think plates along the sides to box the frame and some extra bracing for the wire that the bolster goes over would be a prudent.

Originally posted by Quadrajet View Post
                When I repaired one, I used a plate to reinforce the crack. That particular seat was sooo warped and out of sorts that it would hurt my back pretty bad on long trips.

Comment

Sorry no picture but in my case the frame portion that broke was like a "u" channel. I place a 1/2" solid steel rod into the channel then welded the seat frame to the rod on both end. Re-assemble and it has been great. Any welding shop will be able to manage the repair once the seat is stripped down to the frame

Comment

Working...
                  X