Door Lock Rebuild - Do not be afraid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Lock Rebuild - Do not be afraid

I ordered one of the $30 kits to rebuild my driver's side door lock and it really isn't so much of a rebuild kit, but a brand new door lock that needs tumblers arranged in the correct order.

Many thanks to Bill and his website: http://www.billswebspace.com/BMWE30D...derRebuild.htm

I do not know him at all, but his guidance reassured me that I wouldn't fook it up. :D

Easy as pie. Do not be afraid to do this.

Oh, and it turns out, mine had been replaced with the updated roller. But the arm that does the locking was cracked to the point that when I disassembled it, it just fell into two pieces.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

yup actually kinda fun and very satisfying to have an nice smooth new lock when done,,,
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

I haven't installed it back in the car yet, but I had the old one in and out a couple of times and know how the action works. I am sure it will work great.

Next step is remounting the microswitch to the bracket somehow and see what the state of my central locking system is in...

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

My driver door unlocks smoothly, but the key will get stuck when locking. Do I need this rebuild kit?

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
          My driver door unlocks smoothly, but the key will get stuck when locking. Do I need this rebuild kit?
          Well, it is either the lock itself or the lock mechanism. Either way, you are going to have to pull the door panel off to get the area to repair one or both. While you are in there, might as well rebuild it. So cheap and satisfying.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I need to do this. Thanks for the link. :)
            - Josh
            1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
            Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
              Well, it is either the lock itself or the lock mechanism. Either way, you are going to have to pull the door panel off to get the area to repair one or both. While you are in there, might as well rebuild it. So cheap and satisfying.

also can be a badly worn key , how does key work in other locks?
              Angus
              88 E30M3 X2
              89 325IX
              92 R100GS/PD
              :)

Comment

Thanks for posting link. This is on my to do list.
                sigpichttp://www.germanaudiospecialties.com/

1986 325es :early:

Comment

Improper lubrication can cause all kinds of problems as well. The wafers in the lock need to be able to move freely and get gummed up very easily. A light oil like 3-in-1 or Tri-flow works very well. Also keeps moisture out and your locks from freezing up in cold temps.

Comment

Use something like graphite to lubricate locks instead of oil or it will attract dirt and grime

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

Originally posted by smooth View Post
                      Use something like graphite to lubricate locks instead of oil or it will attract dirt and grime
                      No. While this is the common thought, graphite will only gunk the locks up even more and attract moisture. This is what a long time and very knowledgeable locksmith has told me.

Dust can't really get into locks, they are pretty sealed up, but the moisture in the air can, so dust isn't really a concern.

Comment

Yea, you would generally use graphite to lubricate like a front door lock, that has an exposed keyhole

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Never use oil to lubricate locks. Graphite powder only.

Comment

Like I said, I am repeating directly what an experienced locksmith told me. Been following his advice for years with no problems.

Comment

the reason your locks are getting "gummed up" is because you've been following that advice "for years." There isn't any reason to continually lubricate car door locks. Jaywood said his lock works fine but seems to stick occasionally. Telling him to rip his door and lock apart and oil everything up is not going to resolve the issue. Putting a trace amount of graphite on his key *may* alleviate the stickiness he's feeling and it certainly won't cause dirt or grime issues...unless he takes the assembly apart and rolls everything around in it like a shake n bake! If it doesn't resolve he needs to replace whichever mechanism is broken. I'm not an experienced locksmith but I am experienced with putting my key in my lock every time I get in and out of my car and that stickiness he's describing probably doesn't even have anything to do with something lubrication can address. Depending on what kind of "stickiness" he's experiencing it's a worn key, worn mechanism, or worn spring.
                              Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

Working...
                              X