Steering wheel re-wrap pattern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel re-wrap pattern?

I just bought a 3-spoke wheel at a junkyard that I want to wrap in some new leather.

Usually I'd just take the old beaten leather off carefully and trace it, but the wheel came with the leather already ripped off.

It's a 3 spoke wheel with the single big horn button in the middle, from a '87 325ic.

Anybody have the measurements from a wheel they've re-done?

I can make a good pattern in illustrator and post the file if I can get the measurements.

Wrap it with blue tape and cut it off now you have a pattern

Comment

Pattern with the material you're wrapping with. NOTHING else will stretch in the same manner as the leather piece you're using. You will need to stretch the hide very tight so that when you wrap it around the wheel the inside of the leather doesn't develop wrinkles.

Take your leather strip and staple a piece of duct tape to each end, then stretch it around the wheel as tight as you can, mark where the overlapping seam is and then add an allowance for sewing. Take it off, sew the ends together and trim them. Stretch it around the wheel again and then using chalk mark where the front/rear meet up so you can create a seam line. Cut along the seam line and then using 2 needles sew the ends together kinda like a baseball stitch.
      - Josh
      1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
      Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Working...
      X