Garmin won't plug into cig lighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garmin won't plug into cig lighter

Anyone upgrade to a smaller diameter lighter socket that'll hold power accessories?

On my e30, the socket is slightly too big and won't hold the charger in place very well

thanks in advance
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Just use a sleeve.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
    RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

thanks, but no.

im looking to replace the whole socket

Comment

Shove a thin screwdriver under the side terminals, bend them out gently so the stupid thing stays as it should.

Parts stores have "Accessory Power Sockets" and lighter sockets, both around $5, none of them will fit for shit off the shelf, but some high-grade crazy glue and you should be good to go. You may need to use the plastic grommet it came with, but its a hour project, tops.

My question is why you got wires dangling? That shit is strictly amateur hour bud, get that shit hardwired.

Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Lol, I gotta use the same garmin for two different cars. Easier to swap between cars.

Is there any way I can just get the OEM socket and replace it? I've removed the housing the lighter socket sits in, but I can't seem to remove the old one (really fused in there!)

thanks again for the help

Comment

So, I apparently didn't explain the "fix" very well.

You can just pry out the tabs on the sides of the Garmins plug so it fits tighter in the BMW socket, it only takes a second.

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

thanks for the help so far

The problem is with the metal tab at the bottom of the lighter socket. It doesn't make a good connection when the accessories are plugged in. Which is why i wanted to replace the whole socket

So in my rush to remove the socket, I failed to see if BMW actually sells the socket alone, and so far I'm coming up with nothing :( I'll see if I can get one from a MINI to fit

thanks for the help so far :)

Comment

I might be in luck

61 34 1 367 690 :) only avail at Bavauto

now if only i can find a way to make my old light ring attach, I'll be set :D

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                  I might be in luck

61 34 1 367 690 :)
                  Does the cigarette lighter socket 61341367690 fix your problem?

Mine is a little bit big too.

Comment

Working...
                  X