Swapping tachs problems!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping tachs problems!!

I need some help I am doing the E to I head swap and I need a 7k tach since the stock is only 5 in my 87 325. I bought a 7k motometer tach (mines also motometer) and the tach itself wont even fit in the board and the connections are different.. Is there a specific numbered one that i need for the swap ?

There are differences between the 84-85 clusters and 86-on. It could be that you have an 84 318i tach (also 7k). You need to post pictures so we can see what you have.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I had made a thread about the same problem not too long ago and Nando was able to help. The differences in tachs also create a difference in coding plugs. For me the small back tach I needed used the coding plug in the front of the cluster. I found the correct tach and matching "17" labeled plug and all was good.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Okay, how about a pic of the back of the tach? Another thing...don't trust what the cluster says on the outside. See what is printed on the main board. Sometimes people will change things around.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
            X