Carpet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carpet question

i did a quick search on this subforum and couldnt find what i was looking for.

the carpet in my 90 vert is old. faded. even worn through where your heel goes to brake. oe carpet replacement is unbelievably expensive. redying the carpet would be an option if it wasnt worn through to metal.

what about using a persian rug, trimming and pressing it to fit all the cracks and crevices, and attaching it in a manner that its serviceable in the future? ive seen in done to some degree on other vehicles over the years, but my qualm is that persian rugs usually have a thick pile that's otherwise unworkable. not to mention the obscenity of the cost.

my whole interior will be redone in the coming months, but this idea of the persian rug or something similarly middle eastern has been rattling in my head for a few weeks now and im sure that theres somebody on the forum with more experience with carpet than ive got.

thoughts?
    1990 BMW 325i Cabrio
    1994 Toyota Pickup
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse (Lady's Headache)
    Instagram: @papatonymk_e30

So you want to redo you carpet in Persian Rug?!?!? Ummm I mean I guess we all got different taste. Anyways I would suggest just buying a second carpet and dying it the color you want, or buy a second carpet and try to find some fabric that is in a Persian rug design and use that to cover the top of the carpet if the Persian rug is the way you have to go.
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

stonea, you dont think id be able to mold a persian rug, (or any area rug, for that matter) to fit into an e30 tub? why do you suggest getting another e30 carpet and covering it in patterned cloth, which will eventually break down and discolor or tear, as opposed to just fitting a quality rug? not trying to nitpick, but i think in either direction itd be the same amount of work. i just want a carpet that will stand out along with the rest of the plans i have for the interior.
      1990 BMW 325i Cabrio
      1994 Toyota Pickup

Comment

I am a bit lost here....I get that the rug is worn, but Im not sure a Persian rug is the way to go here.

Comment

rcsoundn1, i want to go the direction of persian rug purely for aesthetics. i love the way they look, and i love the way they feel. ive had them in my households for as long as i could remember, and from all my searching, ive yet to find an e30 with a similar set-up.
          i mean, as far as i'm concerned, my interior plans are truly unique because i can't find anything at all that has what i'm looking for.

what would you do if you were in my shoes?
          1990 BMW 325i Cabrio
          1994 Toyota Pickup

Comment

Well there's just a lot of curves in the carpet and I feel like a Persian rug won't mold to all of them. Also I gotta quarter million miles on my carpet. Just take care of it and a new one won't deteriate.
            My Garage
            2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
            1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
            1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
            Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

ive been researching threads on carpet removal and the picture of the complete carpet removed doesnt look too bad. i get that there are kinks and curves, but i dont think its impossible.

i suppose itll be up to whenever i actually get around to it and report back. maybe ill start with a cheap area rug that has a similar feel to persian rugs so i have something to go off of
              1990 BMW 325i Cabrio
              1994 Toyota Pickup

Comment

Working...
              X